Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Need help with a realistic CARPET MATERIAL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a realistic CARPET MATERIAL

So Im new to this forum stuff, and i've ran into a couple threads about carpet materials with no real results. I mean, I can grab an image of carpet, tile it, and make a normal map....but it doesnt look very good. What if you want to create a really shaggy type of carpet? like this? Someone's gotta know how to do this, right!?? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Well, you just have to have a good carpet texture and good normal map. There's no other secret. If it weren't for real-time games I'd say add some displacement, but it wouldn't work too well in UDK.

It might help to show the results you already have

Comment

wtf...how come i can only post pics with a url...? this forum stuff is already ******* me off! lol

Comment

Because your harddrive is not the internet.

Comment

parallax displacement in dx9 would work, or tesselation in dx11. or if you are going for something that is more friendly towards graphic cards and real time games(as opposed to portfolio stuff) just read on how normal maps work from a technical standpoint and increase the depth of the bump.

Comment

hhhmmm...appreciate the imput...I have DX9, so I'll look into it....anyone else have suggestions, keep 'em coming!!

Comment

make it with actual polys. if you're clever it wouldn't be that expensive. in fact I bet you can make it with the foliage editor just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                make it with actual polys. if you're clever it wouldn't be that expensive. in fact I bet you can make it with the foliage editor just fine.
                That's not possible, you would need way more polygons than would be reasonable.

Comment

Would you? It's not like people would be looking at it close up..

Comment

I think the question would be: what will it be used for, to get a better idea of how to make this? As said, foliage would do. For something like a carpet to be seen that up close, and in such detail, it would almost have to take place IN the carpet.

Comment

Working...
                    X