Blender vs 3dstudio max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Companies who use Max for modelling use Max for animation and conversely for Maya. No company will bother buying both licenses. The exception might be MotionBuilder though.

To answer the OP, it depends whether he wants to learn to land a job in the industry or make a commercial game with UDK.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think most studios use Maya for animation, that or XSI

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Blender is really going places, so any effort spent learning the program wont be completely wasted. Any concepts you pick up will stay with you regardless of the program you use, but larger studios generally want to know you're familiar with the Maya or 3ds Max interface and can work with it if the project requires.

Of note, according to a recent Gears of War 3 interview, lots of modeling work was done in 3ds Max and Mudbox/ZBrush, but just about all animation was done in Maya. The developers made a nice rig for their characters in Maya which Epic intends to share with Unreal Engine 3 licensees and maybe UDK users later down the line.

I'm glad to hear they're still working on Carrara. My first 3d package was Ray Dream Studio (later replaced by Carrara), and the time I spent tooling around in the program really helped me later, when I learned 3ds Max.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I haven't tried Blender yet but by judging videos on youtube i'd say 3ds max is better well at least for me it's got alot of tools and it is easy to use (when you get the hang of it) to be honest my favorite 3d modelling software is 3ds max it's even much easier than Maya even though Maya has alot of tools well anyway you weren't asking about Maya so i shouldn't mention things you didn't ask lol : )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    (I have been doing 3D for 15 years(not to brag)) I have used both and Blender is a fully fledged 3D program for sure. Capability wise there is really no difference that I have found. I think the Blender renderer is a little shotty. And for animation 3DS Max is better in my opinion--better integration, better visual tools. Blender, the UI is, different, strange. Gotta spend the time to learn it, but that goes for any program. Blender has better UV unwrapping. Modeling is about the same, they are both good at it, Blender might be a little better and eazier. I would use 3DS Max because it's the best program I've ever used, really. The UI is much better than Blender. It's intuitive for visual people, and everything is in eazy reach. The secret is they don't change everything around each version like most programs do, just add or make things better. I don't know how they figured that one out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by StingReay View Post
    The UI complaints are thrown out the window with 2.5, so put those away. To be honest I like Blender's easy-to-use Subdivisions. Also, the more people refuse to submit to a monopoly, the better!
    Exactly, another reason why I went with DAZ over Autodesk. DAZ is for the indie 3D crowd, and their tools are easy to work with. Between Carrara, Bryce, and Hexagon, think those work out really nice.
    However, as much as I do like Autodesk reaching out to the less fortunate with their Educational Versions of their tools, which I did take advantage of, I certainly think I know where my loyalty REALLY lies.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by StingReay View Post
    The UI complaints are thrown out the window with 2.5, so put those away.
    Completely untrue, a "new" UI doesn't = a "better" UI. The UI is still *very* substandard. The idea that I can change the UI through Python is a no-go for most of who Blender is intended for... artists. Here's my summary:

UI: Acceptable but not great, it's internally inconsistent and poorly organized in many areas but does have some logic/thought to it.
    Hotkeys: The real problem is hotkeys. Blender users will sing you the song Sting did and tell you "but they're customizable." This is true, but when you're trying to learn, if you stick with defaults you will be confused in *every* other 3d program you use (so terrible if you want industry job). If you customize it will make following tuts difficult. Customizing them is also a LOT of work (e.g., default behavior of clicking into empty space = deselects).
    Tools: Such a mixed bag. A few great things, a ton of missing ones. Fundamentally Blender can't handle ngons which is so hilariously bad in 2011 that it blows the mind. Their solution, bmesh, has been "almost done" for going on 3 years now. Bottom line, modelling tools = substandard, but if you know what you're doing you can still get it done.
    I/O: It never matters how good your program is if you can't get anything out of it into UDK. Bottom line, it's not great. FBX is how UDK is going, and Blender's FBX support is mediocre. If you don't go FBX, you're stuck with custom exporters that kind of, sort of work and you're completely at the mercy of the indie devs who make them.

At the end of the day do you want to 1) get an industry job (then go learn Max/Maya) or do you want to 2) be an indie dev (then go learn Blender). Blender's free-ness is not to be underestimated, if you want to be an indie dev who isn't pirating, then Blender is definitely the way to go. Blender has a huge upside (it IS getting better) and free is free. If you do go the Blender route I *strongly* recommend BlenderCookie. They have good, professional, free training.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I still think the "new" UI sucks just as much as the Old one. I'm on with shell-code. I learned Maya with ut2004 which provided MayaPLE. However, if you have not learned a modeling program yet. Please start with Blender. You wont have to worry about licenses once you make a game (and want to sell it) The same can go for Gimp which is free (similar to PhotoShop). For me I am far to used to Maya to enjoy using Blender.

Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The UI complaints are thrown out the window with 2.5, so put those away. To be honest I like Blender's easy-to-use Subdivisions. Also, the more people refuse to submit to a monopoly, the better!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I learned maya from the ut2004 tutorials back in the day, and just touched on blender because I saw it was completely free and I like free, but I just couldn't do it, it's so different from maya in every way I don't think I'll ever be able to switch. Thank god I have a .edu email address!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As much as I did like signing up for Autodesk's Educational Community and had the opportunity for a free, non-commercial version of 3ds Max, and I do use it a bit. I tend to favor the "middle ground" app in Carrara 8 Pro, which is a DAZ 3D modeling app. It's not as tough to use as Blender, but it's not necessarily as popular as 3ds Max, either, but it is a good compromise, since Carrara is 10x cheaper than Max ($350 - $400 if you are a DAZ 3D Platinum Club Member), and its tools are quite good. It does take some getting used to, but with enough patience, Carrara can certainly do the trick. I do like Blender a little bit, but trying to bake a UV texture to the model, and getting a model fine-tuned and tweaked...that was a bit tough. If you are only torn between Max and Blender, tho, I'd look into whether or not you are eligible to join Autodesk's Education Community, and see if you can download a non-commercial version of 3ds Max. It's worth trying. I was able to join up and download it, and I doubted I would have been eligible. So, give it a whirl.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ankangronto View Post
    why use a program that you will eventually have to pay 5k for if you ever want to do any commercial stuff when you can use a program that is just as good and is completely free and always will be?
    Neither Max nor Maya are $5,000

And Blender just isn't as good as 3ds Max or Maya. Besides that, if you're working for a studio there's a good chance that Blender wouldn't work in their pipeline anyways.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    why use a program that you will eventually have to pay 5k for if you ever want to do any commercial stuff when you can use a program that is just as good and is completely free and always will be?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well 3ds max is industry standart so if you plan to get a job working in a dev team then there isn't much of a choice really. However if you plan to be self employed then Blender may be a free alternative IF you manage to get used to its controls.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Blender is fine, but 3ds Max and Maya are usually the standard if you ever want to get a job making games, or in the movies, etc.
    The two programs are usually pretty comparable as far as what they can actually do. Most things will be done differently in the two programs, both seem to have large online followings. A lot of it is just personal preference, especially if you're just modeling for fun, or a personal project.

If you're a student you can get 3ds Max, Maya, and a ton of other Autodesk programs for free.
    http://students.autodesk.com/

Blender is always free

Hope that helps.

For further resources

Leave a comment:

Working...
X