Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do these books help? I'm a noob at map making.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these books help? I'm a noob at map making.

Does anyone have any experience with the books "Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume I: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3," and "Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume II: Advanced Level Design Concepts with Unreal Engine"? Are they worth the money? I have the UT3 editor and video tutorial that came with UT3 released in 2007, but its very difficult to follow the video tutorial and try to replicate what they are doing shortly after.
    Thanks.

I'd say you should pass on them, they're very out of date, many things are completely different now, and there's many things in the tutorials that aren't even in the editor anymore.

Comment

You get a copy of UT3 and associated version of the editor with the books, for which they are intended. If you work through the tutorials in UT3, and then make the transition to UDK afterwards you'll find the basics have not changed. The only real significant changes are to the terrain and lighting, and there are small additional features that are not covered.

Comment

I have the 1st Volume and at the time when I open the book I almost know most of the stuff from Internet. There are tons of video tutorials that explains the very basic of the map. I think you should just learn from the video tutorials as they are frequently updated unlike books.

Comment

Working...
        X