Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I read you can think of UE as a gameserver?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I read you can think of UE as a gameserver?.

Right, im gonna blast this question in your direction guys, i read here:
    (and no this isn't my first unreal project, it was just something that caught my eye). Another game that i played that used the unreal engine 2 could theoretically handle 30,000 connections to its server. The game i am trying to make will probably need to handle that many connections. So, all i want to know is it possible, what is the max theoretical connections given server hardware out right now and 1gb/s connections. Thanks.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Devel...ptProject.html

The engine is built to handle 64 game clients (last known information). Some say you can increase the number with a self-made system (using DLLBind or similar).

Comment

UE2 probably could theoretically handle 30,000 connections, providing you didn't actually have to do any networking. Assuming 35kb of stored data for each connected player, you'd be looking at an overhead of 1Gb of memory, which may well be where said theoretical limit comes from (the amount of memory a process can use in a 32-bit OS - the actual stored data would have to be much smaller since UE2 has to maintain other things in memory too).

UE3 probably can do that kind of things too, but it's moot since the network layer will refuse to support more than 64 concurrent connections.

Comment

Working...
      X