Hi,I am new to game development.

What I know already:
    1.Basics in C++.
    2.Can draw in autocad.(in 2D field)

What I am trying to learn:
    1.Win 32 programming
    2.3D studio max
    3.Adobe after effect

Goal:3D person action adventure world like prince of persia.
    Assume that sounds,textures,ingame scene,Gameplay concept,arts are ready.

What else I need to do this job? Thanks.

It really all depends on the area you wish to go into.

There are so many things you can do in the game industry but its picking out the right one for you.

If you know the area of what you want to do it would be more easier to give you a few tips.

-Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by MarsAssassin View Post
      It really all depends on the area you wish to go into.

There are so many things you can do in the game industry but its picking out the right one for you.

If you know the area of what you want to do it would be more easier to give you a few tips.

-Kyle
      Pardon me sir,what did you mean by "area"?
      Suppose I am gonna build a arena level where main character and boss will fight.So first I draw a rough picture of 2 characters in paper,export it(draw) to autocad or 3dmax,applying texture,then what to do?I cant go no further as I dont know what to do now.What type of knowledge or books I need to know after then?

I mean,some guy says that to make game you need to know dx api,some says you need opengl,some suggest to know AI etc.But what after what?

Thanks for replay.

Comment

MarsAssassins point is that normally you would have to specialize into a specific area, seldon do the programmer do the concept art, modelling and so on as well.

If you want to do an entire game by yourself, let's say with no complex issues and only basic content then go into programming in general, that's where most of the work will be.

Doing Prince of Persia on your own, say goodbye to 20 years of your life if not more and due to lack of specialization you would prolly end out with a version that wasn't as pretty or polished. It's all about specializing in something you like to do.

Comment

For game development you probably shouldn't waste your time with Adobe After Effects. Not that it's not a useful program but in context of games, there is much more relevant software to learn first.

Comment

Also, if you don't know 3ds max yet, your "textures" are useless since you can't really just assume the UV layout of a mesh that doesn't exist yet.

Choose if you mainly want to do programming or art. If you want to do programming, work really hard on learning Unreal Script and kismet, make quick and dirty models or have others do it for you, then make the gameplay and other programming stuff polished and fun.

If you want to do art, learn 3Ds Max or any other 3D software, UV Layouts and texture/shader creation, and pretty much as much as you can about different aspects of modeling. Low AND high poly.

You can of course learn both and make a game on your own, but it would take WAY longer to learn EVERYTHING, implement it, learn the technical aspects of UDK, piecing the game together, etc. And even then it might not come out looking or playing like anything you envisioned.

All aspects of making a game can't be done overnight by a single person. YEARS of investment is needed.

Comment

Also, if you don't know 3ds max yet, your "textures" are useless since you can't really just assume the UV layout of a mesh that doesn't exist yet.

Choose if you mainly want to do programming or art. If you want to do programming, work really hard on learning Unreal Script and kismet, make quick and dirty models or have others do it for you, then make the gameplay and other programming stuff polished and fun.

If you want to do art, learn 3Ds Max or any other 3D software, UV Layouts and texture/shader creation, and pretty much as much as you can about different aspects of modeling. Low AND high poly.

You can of course learn both and make a game on your own, but it would take WAY longer to learn EVERYTHING, implement it, learn the technical aspects of UDK, piecing the game together, etc. And even then it might not come out looking or playing like anything you envisioned.

All aspects of making a game can't be done overnight by a single person. YEARS of investment is needed.

Comment

Thanks guys for replay.I thought this forum is kinda ghost-town
                On topic:
                I think I should tell more about goal:I do not have a intention of making 7-8hrs of prince of persia game.I just want to learn about making THIS kinda game.So if I could make a 10min level,I would be happy.And of course there is nocommercial thing here.So protecting data with DRM or such isn't necessary.And I just want a ps2 style graphics.So think that,my wish is to build up just a level of "prince of persia:sands of time" where the sounds and arts are assumed to be ready.I could experiment with those game's sounds and arts.Basically the whole things stands for "copying a level of ps2 era action adventure game".My ultimate goal is to learn those game.

And I have decided not to do with "adobe after effect",as you said.
                But already I am engaged with maya 2012 instead of 3dmax(fallen in love with it some days ago)
                Is maya a good substitute for 3d max?
                I have a friend who can art good.
                JessieG said to learn Unreal Script and kismet.Where can I find good documentation or books or tutorials of those,
                can somebody tell me?
                Is learning Directx or AI necessary to do game making thing or unreal engine itself do those?
                So in short,I with some of my friends are trying to make some fun with.
                And strictly the fun is 3rd person action adventure flavour.This should in no way be RTS or FPS
                I am very thankful to all of you guys.
                p.s.Pardon my english.

Comment

Yes Maya is a fine substitute. I prefer it.
                  AI is useful if you need intelligent enemies of course. Direct X... well... depends what you want to do. I severely doubt you'd need it for a UDK game.
                  Start with UnrealScript and work on advancing your C++ knowledge because you will need that eventually for more complex things.

I'd personally decide whether I'm more of a coder or visual designer and focus on that and very little on the other.

Comment

Thanks Henrik,you saved a lot of my time.So learning Directx can be paused at this time.Again thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X