Particles, simulated lifetime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Particles, simulated lifetime?

In Cascade, is it possible to keep the particle around after the lifetime has passed?

I wish it to increase in size over the span of it's lifetime, then stop rather than disappear.

Edit: I was able to do it through Size Scale by time, though the values in some of the modules in cascade are extremely vague and hard to understand.

Lifetime controls how long a particle exists, so if you want it longer, then increase the lifetime.

Comment

I don't want it to have a lifetime, I want it constant.

But anyway, as I said, I was able to do it with Size Scale by Time instead.

However, I need to also do it with velocity. And I cannot see a time-related velocity or location module.

I need it to move for 10 seconds, then stop. Any suggestions on how to do it?

Comment

Usually there's a setting to where you can set a point in time (which would be a value of 1.0 which represents the particle lifetime) and then you can add points where the value would change. Like if you wanted it to stop after 10 seconds, say your particles have a lifetime of 20 seconds, then you would add a point at 0.5 where the velocity is 0 (think of it like an animation keyframe)

Comment

Thing is, there is no lifetime.

Comment

Set Lifetime to something like 0 or -1 and they should be persistant. I believe there should be something like an acceleration / velocity over time node in cascade too.

Comment

They are persistant, the problem is that I cannot find any "over time" velocity/location/acceleration nodes. Only initial and by life.

Comment

If you've got it where the particles never go away then there's no way to change the velocity over time.

Wouldn't having the particles exist forever cause problems?

Comment

What do you mean there is no lifetime? Right click and add lifetime module in cascade?
                  Edit: There is acceleration/life too.

Comment

I know that, I meant that my particles don't have a lifetime, as I've stated several times now, I don't want to have a lifetime.
                    I know there's an over life module, but I need an over time module, like size has.

The particles are killed through scripts, so I want it to last indefinitely until the script is run.
                    Constant particle systems are used all the time, IE projectiles.

Comment

Surely it's possible to move a particle at set times and distances without having a lifetime?

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking for is not what particle systems are for? Are you sure you don't just want to use an actor that has a sprite?

Comment

Yes, I am sure.

Comment

Not sure if this will be useful but as a workaround you could possibly have your initial particle based on life to make all functions work based on it's life. Then at the point where it needs to be static and fully grown, spawn another particle in it's place at same place, size.. etc. and have that particle be persistent. Only thing I'm not sure is will the pop be visible and will the orientation be possible to duplicate exactly. But this mostly just a thought and not a proven workaround.

Of course having the "by time" ability in all functions is the best way for this but sounds like not possible from your posts. (I did not look at particles fora while so not sure what's on there these days).

Comment

Working...
                            X