Steamworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    To get a steam ID, you need to submit your game for steam.
    Which means it has to be qualified as a proper game and be fit for sale.
    It is only free in the sense that you don't have to pay for the application itself. However, steam takes royalties, about 25% I have heard.

You only need to use steam if you want to use the built in steam multiplayer features. However, it's quite possible to script your own multiplayer, which is not as bad as it may sound, once you got a basic understanding of how it works.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you need an app id from steam (or their partner), and i believe its free.
    they want a download link to the game as well as tons of other stuff, theres a form to fill in.
    http://steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php#Technical
    been waiting a couple of months now for a reply about Unwheel2.....

steam in udk is both very good and very bad,
    good because your game will be on steam.
    bad because your as good as forced to use steam if you want multiplayer.
    the alternative is not worth thinking about

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Steamworks

Steamworks

I've been doing some reading and seeing that steamworks is now part of udk... does that mean that steamworks is free for people who are making stuff with udk? I read that you have to send an email to steamworks and ask them for an ID and was seeing that some people said it was free to get a hold of it. I wasn't planning on selling the game I am working on but it is multiplayer based and I don't really know what I could do to get it on the internet for free to play. Reading about the steamworks part of UDK was getting me excited. Can someone please clarify for me I am a bit confused on this... Thanks
Working...
X