Copyright question about a racing game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Well for a real movie you hire or buy a car, that doesnt extend to CG work so whom ever the brand is doesnt get any money what so ever. Most of the time there are marketing deals though, like say transformers they didnt just pick those brands out of a hat they would have had bidding on who wanted their cars in there most and was willing to front money to see the movie through production. I wouldnt expect to strike those types of deals unless you know exactly what youre doing and as danimal' is suggesting, consulting a lawyer.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's as good as relying on wikipedia, you're asking nonlawyers to answer legal questions, it's akin to asking sales people engineering questions. Most people just repeat vague theories or ideas they've heard knocked around. If you're serious about it, talk to a lawyer, otherwise make something unique so you don't have to worry about it, or commit and be prepared to be shut down. There's really not much to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    why do people ask legal questions on a games board
    because there is a chance that someone already made a similar game and know about it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ugh, why do people ask legal questions on a games board. No one here is competent or authorized to answer those kinds of questions, and if they were (pretend someone here is an international copyright lawyer), they wouldn't give out legal advice over a games forum and risk creating an attorney-client relationship.

Be smart, just make your own unique cars and there's no issue at all. This is really quite simple. If you want generic advice, hit up wikipedia. If you want serious advice, go hire a lawyer, but I can guarantee you'd be better off just making your own cars.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by he3117 View Post
    I'm a little confused.If I make a movie and the artist drive a BMW it dosnt need factory permission but if my virtual driver use this car it needs permission?

It does need a permission, if it's an official movie.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm a little confused.If I make a movie and the artist drive a BMW it dosnt need factory permission but if my virtual driver use this car it needs permission?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You need permission to use any companies branding in anything. As far as I was aware international copyright trumps all, there isnt even a local copyright office in the entire Australia.

If I were you Id just fudge it and make up some fake brands and loosely base my work on standard designs which encompass all brands. Thats not really copyright, Im sure someone might hold a patent to say the disc brake and not all cars run their brands disc brake model. Kind of like how RC cars internals dont always match the chassis brand so you have some leeway in believability if you make up fake brands.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes to both.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Copyright question about a racing game

Copyright question about a racing game

Hi
    I'm currently working on a Toy Racing game.My questions are:

1-Do I need company's permission to use toy version of real cars in my game?(Ford,BMW...)

2-Do I need toy factory's permission to use real toy cars in my game?(RC cars)

our copyright laws are similar to the Russians copyright and I'm not familiar with international copyrights.
Working...
X