Placing objects with physics engine's help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placing objects with physics engine's help

I'm suggesting that it would be great from a level designer standpoint if we would be able to place smaller objects with the help of the physics engine.
    My idea was that you'd basically place the objects into the level, then select the ones you want to become dynamic and click some button which turns on physics simulations. This should work like the canBecomeDynamic stuff for static meshes. Then the physics engine would do its job, stuff would fall on the ground in a believable manner. At the end of this simulation the engine would make these meshes static again, at the spots where they stopped moving in the simulation phase.
    This tool could also offer options for choosing that do you want to use simple collision models for the simulation or complex collision.
    Personally I think this would help me a lot when placing objects around levels. I could just let the engine to handle the placement instead of fine tuning everything with the move and rotate widgets.
    Any thoughts?

I agree, this is something that I would have liked when making one of my scenes. I had to create a set of ropes hanging off the edges from two objects and just didn't want to have to create a number of different meshes of different rope shapes. I did manage to achieve what I wanted with a single straight rope mesh - that only hung down due to gravity when I activate the level - but it would be great if I could bend the rope the way that I want before I have to activate the level so that I can set it up properly.

Comment

That sounds like splines to me.

Comment

Working...
      X