Help finishing a PC Build for UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help finishing a PC Build for UDK

I'm completely new to building a PC (I've always bought pre-built systems)

So far this is what I'm eyeing:

Intel Core i7 2600k quad core processor
    1 Nvidia Gefore GTX 590 (Going for DX11 compatibility)
    1 7200rpm 1TB SATA HDD (Not sure on the brand yet)
    SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W PSU

What I'm NOT sure on yet, is a proper motherboard or cooling system for this setup. I'm always not sure what type of case (I'm also going to be getting a CD/DVD and a wireless card since I don't have the ability to run ethernet cables into my bedroom, so I need a motherboard capable of handling all of this and a case with enough room for it)

Anyone have any suggestions on what to get to finish this setup (or if the components I've picked so far would be good). Even just a few examples of good parts would help me out.

My budget is probably anywhere between $1500 and $2000, maybe a little more if necessary. I would prefer to have UDK run lag free both in the editor and in game, but if there is a little bit of lag in this setup I just don't want it to be extremely noticeable considering right now the included maps in UDK have horrible FPS issues for me. (It would be nice to play other games on full settings as well.)

I know this is a lot to ask, but I don't have experience building a computer and figured this would be the best place to ask considering UDK/3D graphics are my top priority for this rig. Even pointing me in the right direction for one component will help greatly.

You'll need a better PSU than that, especially if you're getting a GTX 590.

Get at least 8GB of RAM

As for other stuff, go to Newegg and look at stuff with high ratings and check through the reviews,

As for the graphics card, I'd probably recommend a GTX 580. The 590 is technically two cards in one, and can have problems in some games/programs that can't take advantage of all the power. With the GTX 580 you get a faster single GPU and you can make it faster than the GTX 590 if you go SLI at some point. There's also some GTX 580's with 3GB of video memory, which is good for multiple monitor setups and loading high-resolution textures.

Comment

Ok that actually sounds better for me (I was planning on a dual monitor setup anyway) and I'll look into the Video Memory. I have 8 GB of ram right now in my laptop so I know not to go under that. (I'll probably go with 8 GB on this new system, and later, if needed, 16 GB.

Aren't there specific motherboards that you need to be compatible with the i7 though? also do I need certain PCi slots for the GPU?

Comment

Also how about this PSU?:

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W

and this is the cooler I'm thinking: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

Comment

Ok so I did some research and came up with this configuration:

Graphics Card: Nvidia Gefore GTX 580

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k Sandy Bridge

HDD: 7200rpm 1TB HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Intel Z68 ATX

Disc Drive: Asus Black BW-12B1ST 12x BR-writer

Wireless Adapter: Linksys Dual Band WMP600N IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212

Case: Crossair Graphite Series 600T

Ram: 8 GB (still undecided)

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W

Anything wrong/missing?

Comment

I have read somewhere on this forum that baking lighting for large scenes is crazy for memory. Maybe you should go with 16GB.

Comment

Just for now I'll probably stick with 8 (haven't run into problems with ram since I have 8GB now, it's my CPU/GPU that's holding me back. But if I need it later on I'm definitely getting it. I just want to make sure this setup will work how I want it to.

Comment

Bump. Just want to make sure this list is good. If not, I can still do some research. Have a few weeks until the funds for this computer are available.

Comment

I have an asus Sabertooth Motherboard.It's awesome.
                  It has been designed for overclocking.It's bios is very easy and amazing.

you must choose your Ram based on the Motherboard.some are dual channel and some are triple channel.
                  Sabertooth supports dual channel rams.so you can get two dual channel 4GB rams.
                  I suggests corssair.

Good Luck

Comment

Yeah the ram and hdd are the easy part. I just wanted to make sure everything else would give me good performance. Thanks for the recommendation! I think I'm Goin to go with this setup, if anything goes wrong there's always return policies haha. But after looking around it all seems to be compatible.

Comment

I'd go for a 1000 watt PSU just to be safe.

Also. I know a 7200rpm HDD is faster, however, they are prone to getting hot and failing.

I always prefer a harddrive that's a little slower in RPM.

Good luck with your build.

Comment

I actually have a 7200 in my laptop and it's been working fine for over a year now. I'll make backups regularly so if it fails I'll get another one.

I'll look into the 1000w power supply. I saw a few other builds with similar specs and they had higher wattage PSU's than what I was looking at, so I'll hunt one down.

Comment

So I got it built. Found an EVGA GTX 580 with the 3 Gig video memory. Hooked everything up over the last two days and surprisingly (since this was the first PC I've ever built) it booted up right away. I'm installing drivers right now and reinstalling programs. I'll post results with UDK once I finally get it installed on the new machine. =D

Comment

Working...
                          X