Help the New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help the New Guy

Hey guys, I'm 16 years old and have always planned to take up game designing and programming as one of my proffessions. I wanted to try out the UDK and have a few questions, so thank you for your comments.

- I get the jist of UDK, but can someone basically sum up what UDK is and what it can be used for?

- Is there a tutorial that can efficiently teach me UDK? I'm sure this is a frequently asked and obvious question, but I'm just getting them all out so I can start.

- I know there is an extensive world creator and cinematic creator, but as for gameplay and combat can that be designed from the ground up? How would one go about doing so?

- Are there any tips or obvious facts I need to know?

- How much of my game can I edit? Meaning can I completely design a feature or is it limited to whatever comes on UDK?

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm not going to answer all of these but hope this helps:

1. UDK is a free version of Unreal Engine 3. It's nearly the same exact thing as what professional studios get with licenses costing hundreds of thousands. You can use UDK to make games of just about any size or type, within reason. I don't recommend trying to make an MMO, for instance. UDK users have the very latest features of the engine within days of them being added, which is quite something I would say!

2. Try http://udkc.info - it is a collection of both textual and video tutorials by several community contributors, covering all the major topics.

3. I'll leave that one to someone else.

4. You may have big ideas, but don't go overboard or try to rush things out of impatience. You'll go further quicker by starting small, taking your time and doing things methodically. For instance writing proper documents of how you plan to approach things, and don't overwhelm yourself. Find what you can do well alone and focus on something where you don't have to rely too much on people to help you. Once people see that you can successfully make something they will be more inclined to help on a something bigger.

5. You can design plenty if you learn UnrealScript (or even Kismet), and bring in your own assets. There aren't very many limits unless you want to do complicated online features etc.

Comment

Thanks Henrik, I'd like to just try a few simple projects, I'm sure the tutorials will help with that. I'll try my fundamental ideas before combining multiple abstract concepts. Could someone please try to answer number 3? My biggest idea has to do with combat so I'd like to know how much I can develop that for melee and range. For example, complex melee with physical properties that affect the swing, direction, and damage of a blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post

1. UDK is a free version of Unreal Engine 3. It's nearly the same exact thing as what professional studios get with licenses costing hundreds of thousands.
        Not quite, it's free as long as you don't intend to sell.

If you wish to sell, you require a $99 license as well as 25% royalties after your first 50k.

As for question number 3, yes, it is possible to create something like that, but it would require a lot of tongue-in-cheek programming.

Comment

Well you would start by writing new UnrealScript classes that extend from the base game rules. All of what you want to do there should be reasonably simple, the best way to learn is to look at the code of other melee type combat games done on the Unreal Engine, which there are plenty of - UT3 mods, etc. I understand AngelMapper has also just done a book on UnrealScript, which is probably a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Graylord View Post
            Not quite, it's free as long as you don't intend to sell.

If you wish to sell, you require a $99 license as well as 25% royalties after your first 50k.

As for question number 3, yes, it is possible to create something like that, but it would require a lot of tongue-in-cheek programming.
            Of course, I say "free" in that it is free to download and use legally. Commercial development is not even on most peoples radars when they begin.

Comment

Well thank you guys, any other tips are welcome. I'll be inquiring about what language to use and where to learn it in order to design my own melee and features soon. If you have any advice please comment.

Comment

there is a lot of useful information scattered all over the forum - tips, tricks, solutions, examples, tutorials - searching forum for some information will help you a lot

Comment

Is there a tutorial that can efficiently teach me UDK? I'm sure this is a frequently asked and obvious question, but I'm just getting them all out so I can start.
                  There is some useful video tutorials allover the net.you can find some on youTube.
                  also there is some basic to advanced video tutorials from gnomon and 3dmotive and etc..
                  Try these for the beginning:
                  http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...nreal-Engine-3
                  And
                  http://eat3d.com/training_videos?qui...=3#quicktabs-4

Comment

Originally posted by Pareod View Post
                    Well thank you guys, any other tips are welcome. I'll be inquiring about what language to use and where to learn it in order to design my own melee and features soon. If you have any advice please comment.
                    UDK uses Unreal Script, not a language like C++ or anything like that. I suggest looking into unreal script tutorials before trying to master another language that isn't necessary. Are learning these other languages helpful? Most certainly. Needed? Not if you put a lot of effort into unreal script. If this is your first time programming, look into tutorials for this before trying to venture into other languages used by other engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                      Commercial development is not even on most peoples radars when they begin.
                      You'd be surprised of how many new guys are releasing games for iOS, hardly having a clue what they are doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X