This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick questions about UDK and Unity and the Licensed Unreal Engine

I have done some research but the sources seemed out of date and I want to get and up to date answer about this.

How much different is the UDK from the fully Licensed Engine ? Could BioWare make a Mass Effect game using ONLY the UDK? or is it different enough from the licensed engine that it would be almost impossible?

Does anyone think that Unity is not on par with the UDK graphic wise? Could I have a model in the UDK with lighting and effects and what not applied to it, take a screenshot, have the same thing in Unity and you would be able to tell the difference of which is which? (I am going to be trying this and will be posting an update when I have those screenshots)

I have a programming background starting with VB and Perl and I have experience with PHP, Ruby, C++, C# and some javascript. I am confident I can learn UScript for the UDK but after working with C# and Unity I find myself frustrated that I have to jump through hoops to do something that would take a matter of minutes in Unity.

For instance, to get the player to spawn as a vehicle, in Unity it would be a matter of placing the character controller script on the prefab for the vehicle. I read a couple of things on the vehicle classes in the UDK and there isn't a straight forward way to make the player spawn by default as the vechicle, you have to be a player and jump into the vehicle.

Any advice on how to go about doing that? Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Tyrnt

Engine comparison threads are pretty much not allowed.

UDK IS the Unreal Engine. If Bioware could make a Mass Effect game without making modifications to the Engine source, then yes.

The stock Vehicle implementation is designed to be controlled by a player that has already possessed a regular pawn. I've never really looked into the vehicle implementation, but I'd bet that it wouldn't be very difficult to actually change that, just that it's not currently built for it.

As Vehicles are typically pawns, and Controllers typically control Pawns, it's probably as simple as possessing the vehicle, making sure the controller gets to the PlayerDriving state, and cleaning up some loose ends in code that would normally do things like attach the original player pawn to the vehicle, and such. But, I've never done it, so, I could be totally wrong.

Comment

You should know that visual quality is not everything about an engine. UDK ships with a suite of tools that ease the process of game development significantly. I believe this is more valuable than anything else. The strength of Unreal Engine is in its toolset, not its graphics only as they can be modified via shaders in any engine and can achieve similar quality.

Comment

[UDN]MobileVehicleExample[/UDN] shows how to spawn players in vehicles.

Please do not discuss or compare other engines. Thanks.

Comment

You can do the graphics of Mass Effect just with UDK. But with the source code they were able to integrate their conversation scripting system into it. Otherwise it would have taken a lot of work (but probably still possible)

Comment

It is hard to find a system which cannot be implemented with UScript - the problem comes when you wanna create editing tools within engine.

Comment

You can build the editing tools inside Unreal Engine 3 using PIE. I've thought about it several times for making UWindow3 easier to edit.

Comment

Could you explain a bit more, James?

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                  You can build the editing tools inside Unreal Engine 3 using PIE. I've thought about it several times for making UWindow3 easier to edit.
                  Thought also about this - but it's only a dirty workaround. I would be pleased to get some plug-in/extension system for the editor.

Solid, have ya been trying to implement this kind of stuff ?

Comment

Originally posted by seenooh View Post
                    You should know that visual quality is not everything about an engine. UDK ships with a suite of tools that ease the process of game development significantly. I believe this is more valuable than anything else. The strength of Unreal Engine is in its toolset, not its graphics only as they can be modified via shaders in any engine and can achieve similar quality.
                    Maybe, because Cry Engine 3 has now been made free for use and I was amazed
                    by the visualization tech preview over here

I was playing around with it and it seems to have a quite handy set of tools as well and the engine is truly realtime(no light baking or faked reflection as such)

But comparing this, I would still stick to a UDk license because its much more economic
                    No offence, I'll still love UDK.

CE3 = too expensive lol.

Comment

20% royalties on revenue, CE3 ain't expensive

Anyway, let's not compare ok? Keep to the UDK, as requested.
                      UDK can do quite everything, in terms of modern gaming aspects (and the tech has years of proof under it's belt, compared to the competition (engine x and engine y etc), many pro studios use UE3 (the big brother of UDK) for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Freko View Post
                        Maybe, because Cry Engine 3 has now been made free for use and I was amazed
                        by the visualization tech preview over here

I was playing around with it and it seems to have a quite handy set of tools as well and the engine is truly realtime(no light baking or faked reflection as such)

But comparing this, I would still stick to a UDk license because its much more economic
                        No offence, I'll still love UDK.

CE3 = too expensive lol.
                        I didn't explore their entire thing, but as far as the terrain system is concerned, it totally sucks. Even our old terrain system is better.

Comment

Working...
                        X