Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Installer

Hey Every One;

When I finish my game, or just want people/friends to see my updates on it, how would i create a installer for just the game, and none of the UDK editor and everthing else as other games are.

Each game export(cook) does not contain the editor at all
    You need to use the build in installer (fronted tool packs it), you can only use a custom installer if you have a commercial license.

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
      you can only use a custom installer if you have a commercial license.
      Not true. See http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=722122

Comment

That's an old thread, didn't they change that rule while ago. Thought they did.

Comment

I believe the word that I've been parroting over the last 2 years was possibly from prior to that, that using a different installer was only permitted if you had a license. I do wish that some of the additional license questions that have been answered over the years on the forums had made their way to the official licensing questions page.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
            I do wish that some of the additional license questions that have been answered over the years on the forums had made their way to the official licensing questions page.
            Sounds like a good idea to me. If you can tell me what questions they are, I can try to make that happen. I'll have a look around, but if people can point them out to me that makes it all so much easier. Just PM me so we don't pollute other threads here.

Comment

I'd start with this one, "can you use another installer for a free product, and/or on a licensed product?" and next time I run across one, I'll be sure to drop you a line

Comment

On this same topic but a slightly different train of thought, its okay to use a custom installer if youre not packaging the udk isnt it? Say I make a mod for udk and bundle only my content up into a customer installer for use with version x of udk.

Comment

Originally posted by MVGS View Post
                  I'm sure i've read it somewhere a while ago (posted by a staffer).

Comment

Try using Inno Setup Compiler, i think it's free

Comment

Originally posted by bartinkopl View Post
                      Try using Inno Setup Compiler, i think it's free
                      we're talking about IF you can use a custom installer, or not.
                      (not which custom installer :P)

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                        On this same topic but a slightly different train of thought, its okay to use a custom installer if youre not packaging the udk isnt it? Say I make a mod for udk and bundle only my content up into a customer installer for use with version x of udk.
                        i'd have to call that one out on "common sense" -- you can't package it with UNSetup, so it must be ok

Comment

Yeah thats what I figured but who knows there might be something written down there that prevents it. Personally I think its kinda silly to install an entire udk each time we only want to use alittle piece of it, it makes sense for licensees who typically mod the engine level though but for us itd be more handy to just run it on the appropriate VM version.

Comment

Working...
                          X