Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching: Space sim tut

Hi everyone,
    For the past few days my perspective on UDK has changed and i have realised just how capable it is. And now i want to know how to make a space sim game in it.
    I have seen it done, but found no tutorials or directions of thought.

Help would be much appreciated,

Sellorio

Where have you seen it done? I would be happy to see a video, since as far as I know it's not trivial, and I would think a large-world flight/space simulator is one of the toughest things to do with UDK. If the scope is limited and you are just flying a ship around an asteroid, that might be more doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard_Edge View Post
      Where have you seen it done? I would be happy to see a video, since as far as I know it's not trivial, and I would think a large-world flight/space simulator is one of the toughest things to do with UDK. If the scope is limited and you are just flying a ship around an asteroid, that might be more doable.
      Thats about what I saw, but when searching for tutorials, I found a serious team developing a full size game.

** STILL SEARCHING FOR TUTORIAL/INFO **

Comment

Are you referring to AFF-PlanetStorm?

There is reason it's on the UDK showcase, because it's a ludicrous amount of work. You will not find tutorials on how to make something quite as complex as that. Start small, no doctor ever did brain surgery in his first procedure.

Hope you don't take any offense at that.

Comment

Oh it's not THAT hard Joking aside, you'd have to define what you think a tut would contain. There are so many elements to a space sim, you'd have be much more specific (camera, flight controls, custom vehicle, planet shader, etc etc). If you're referring to a flight system, it's definitely doable in UDK (see sig), but is rarely done because it does involve significant coding. Things like AFF are sort of an "everything" game, flight, ground combat, vehicles etc and because it caters to everything, as mentioned, requires a ludicrous amount of effort and a large team.

Comment

Working...
          X