Newbie here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here.

Hello all. I've been messing with UDK occasionally and I've created some flat land and some colorful things. I'm still confused about a few things, but what I'd really like to do is make a 3D map, put some bots on it, and make a shooter experience with some vehicles in it. (I know how to place vehicles as well) I'd like to know how to make some decent grass, trees, water, and some good looking details to the maps. I'd like to get into UDK a lot more. I mean A LOT more. So give me tips, hints, advice, help, tutorial, or whatever you have in mind. Sorry for being such a newbie at all of this ha ha.

Well, I'm new to this program as well...but I'm guessing that realistic grass, trees, etc will have to be made in your modeling program (3ds max, maya, blender). Maybe theres a way to do it in udk, but I don't think so, because of the whole box based brush setup.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidfireshot View Post
      Well, I'm new to this program as well...but I'm guessing that realistic grass, trees, etc will have to be made in your modeling program (3ds max, maya, blender). Maybe theres a way to do it in udk, but I don't think so, because of the whole box based brush setup.
      Which one do you think is the best? I'm looking at blender and maya only gives you a 30 day free trial. I don't have much money to pay for these types of things unfortunately.

Comment

I have the educational version of 3ds max because of my school, which is a plus. Most of these cost tons of money, but pretty sure Blender is open source and free. An important thing to note is that since these are another program in itself it will require learning even more things, as well as cross-program knowledge such as how to import, etc.

Heres the link for Blender. It is in fact free and open-source:
        http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

Comment

Good luck, and tell me how it works out

Comment

Student licenses don't count towards any commercial use. (so even if you have a student license, you cannot use it in a commercial way, direct or indirect)

But as said, there are free (price and use, commercially speaking) alternatives to the big dogs. Blender is one out there, it's very complete, quite mature and is used alot in the indie world.
            I have to say, that the approach is a bit different than other programs, but once you're familiar with it, it's faster in many cases, compared to the "traditional" way.

Comment

I know, I don't plan on making anything commercial anytime soon

Comment

I've decided to go with blender. Free, has lots to do, and works great. I'll be utilizing that as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                X