to cook or not to recook? - that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to cook or not to recook? - that is the question

I am finding I must "re-cook" everything each time a want to package up my demo.

If I don't... It won't cook "mygame.u" file - That is really the only thing I want to cook.

Since I haven't changed anything in my 3 maps... so I don't really want to have to cook those each time... but It seems I must in order to cook the code "mygame.u" properly I need to make sure I select RE-COOK EVERYTHING.

Is there any way to cook just the code portion i.e. "mygame.u" (and all other .u files necessary for the game to work) and leave the previous cooked maps alone without disturbing them?

NOTE: I am using april 2010 release

Thanks

I guess that's not really possible. I don't know exactly what is going on during the cooking process but as far as I know does it merge the code and assets with the maps in an attempt to make it harder to extract the stuff from there again. If they would cook the packages each on it's own, it wouldn't really be much safer.

But I am unsureā€¦ is the stuff in UT3 cooked as well or was it left uncooked for the community to use it?

Comment

I know that the maps and art assets end up being mixed together, but aren't these *.u files still the same ones that are compiled if you chose just to "Compile scripts"?
      The *.u files are the compiled scripts not the maps or art assets.

Comment

It should only take a couple of minutes, if your shader caches are up to date, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Comment

Thanks for the responses...

A full recook (clears everything out) and takes about 10 minutes each time with recooking 3 maps... is that about right?

But I plan on having 200 maps... (so I wanted to get to figure this out before going farther)

Thanks

Comment

Open DefaultEngine.ini and add this:

Code:
            [TextureStreaming]
            UseTextureFileCache=false
            Everything should be cooked in their own packages, so recooking takes less time if you don't use full recook.

Comment

Working...
            X