Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make a "Calm" realistic water material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a "Calm" realistic water material?

I see a lot of Water Material tutorials, but for some reason most of them have to do with Oceans and such. I am trying to make a scenario with a puddle that is rarely disturb and very placid, but don't quite know how to make this happen on a Fluid Surface Actor.

Thanks you all =).

To be honest I do not see what fluid surface actor has to do with making calm water, the whole purpose of it is to generate disturbance.

The look of it when it is not disturbed is all up to the material, not the actor.

Comment

actually what generates disturbance is the fluid influence actor
      I believe Hourences has both an ocean and a smaller water tutorial, but really the only difference is to make your ripples and noise very subtle

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
        Which is what I said?

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
          Originally posted by Graylord View Post
          Which is what I said?
          Originally posted by Graylord View Post
          To be honest I do not see what fluid surface actor has to do with making calm water
          influence actor, not surface actor
          you're confusing the noobs man

Comment

I think you misunderstood what I said. We are talking about fluid surface actor, I am talking about the same thing the OP is.
            What it does is generate disturbance when touched.

If you want calm water, just use a plane.
            As I said in my first reply, it being a Fluid Surface actor has nothing to do with how it looks when not disturbed. It's all in the material.

Comment

yeah sorry I misunderstood, I was missing the part of being disturbed when touched. I thought he was having disturbances without the player touching the water

to the OP: try playing with the FluidSurfaceActor's settings, most importantly the Fluid Damping, Travel Speed, Height Scale, and Impact. you can pretty much tone all those down to make disturbances very subtle, but still exist and so, will still look like cool water

Comment

Doesn't the 3d Buzz videos show a good representation of placing a puddle using the fluid surface actor? Seems I remember watching one where they placed a fsa around a fire hydrant in one of the videos and explained how to adjust the properties as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KenD View Post
                  Doesn't the 3d Buzz videos show a good representation of placing a puddle using the fluid surface actor? Seems I remember watching one where they placed a fsa around a fire hydrant in one of the videos and explained how to adjust the properties as well.
                  Doesn't work for me for whatever reason. The reflection is all wrong.....

I will do it again, and show you the result...

Comment

Okie dokes I went to the Example Map UDK and did a few things. One I took out the sort of barriers blocking the sewer and the other I replaced the water material in the sewers Fluid Surface Actor with the one I made with the 3DBuzz and I get this ehh, mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcVUbrdidQU

Note that I didn't use a RenderToTextureCube, I used a TextureRenderTargetCube because well the RenderToTextureCube doesn't exist? I can't find it whatsoever....

Comment

do what halo reach does. play it and you'll get it.what Outstandish talking about is something which is basically what halo reach did on their puddles. go on the map which is the one which looks like blood gulch and look at their puddles. all u want to do is just make a puddle type material with no ripples or anything moving in your material.... then apply it to a fluid surface actor movable in actor classes and then put it where you want then the fluid actor which contains your material will do all the work so if you shoot it or disturb it..it will ripple and all that stuff and when its done rippling...it will go back how your material was.

Comment

this is a example on the puddles

Comment

Well a fluidsurfaceactor is more than just waves.

Comment

Working...
                          X