Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any/many games made with UDK released on PS3 or PSN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any/many games made with UDK released on PS3 or PSN?

How come you dont hear anything about UDK games being released on consoles, particularly the black beast from Japan LOL?

I've played a few game demo's (PSN download only), that are obviously not full scale UE3 license games, but indie developments (due to the games being kind of small &/or basic in comparison to UE3 games such as MK9, god I love that game, can you hear me god?). The price tags are kinda ridiculous though. £10 is WAY too much for an indy game IMO, I wouln't charge any more than a fiver if I wanted to make sales. I payed a tenner or Deadspace 2 when it had only been out 2 weeks.

So, even though its evident these games exist, its a wonder nobody posts WIP or "released" threads about them. Maybe Sony swears their clients to secrecy upon fear of being assassinated by way of "devine wind" or "heavens wrath"!!!

UDK can't develop for consoles--that's the main reason. If there's an arcade game that's using the UE3 then they are an UE3 licensor, not using UDK.

That's because developing a game for consoles takes more than money, you have to work with the publisher to be able to do it (with licensing costs) along with paying for the full UE3 license with Epic.

UDK costs $99 for a commercial game. A licensing fee to develop for a console can be tens of thousands of dollars, so it's unlikely that someone working with UDK would be able to afford it.

Comment

Wow, its hard to imagine some of these people payed the phenomenally huge licensing fee's to make these little PSN games that are....in a non subjective way - not that great, in terms of graphics/gameplay and general clunkiness, or that "unrefined/unfinished" feel (deadblock for example, no offence to the developer! gotta give kudos to these indy devs).

Thats a shame anyway, Epic and Sony should strike some kind of merger arrangement for UDK that extends portability to PS3 (in an ideal world), but Im almost adamant that that will NEVER happen LOL, so im just dreaming here!

Comment

I know, sometimes I wonder how cheap games get released like that. But I've actually worked on a project like that that was doomed to fail. Only reason the project existed was because someone wanted it made and was willing to pay for it. It certainly wasn't because it was a good idea.

Although with licensing fees, I'm sure the cost is dependent on how big the project is

Comment

i know MS is tight but i thought sony would at least let up a bit, but even so MS should let up with indie releases

Comment

Well with the PSN getting hacked pseudo-recently I doubt they're looking into making it easier for amateur game devs to put their games on the PS. Sony's usually been pretty smart about third-party support, but risk factors are always analyzed and Sony puts a lot of love into making their machines.

Comment

Originally posted by shuriken88 View Post
              Wow, its hard to imagine some of these people payed the phenomenally huge licensing fee's to make these little PSN games that are....in a non subjective way - not that great, in terms of graphics/gameplay and general clunkiness, or that "unrefined/unfinished" feel (deadblock for example, no offence to the developer! gotta give kudos to these indy devs).
              Well, some publisher can help developpers to get full licences. And I think that Epic can dicuss the price with the developpers directly and change a little the cost of the licence.
              The UDK license is fixed because everybody can access it, but the full license of UE3, it's an other story.

Thats a shame anyway, Epic and Sony should strike some kind of merger arrangement for UDK that extends portability to PS3 (in an ideal world), but Im almost adamant that that will NEVER happen LOL, so im just dreaming here!
              Maybe with the PS Vita, who know ?

Comment

That would be wicked. I suppose if Epic are already making venture's into the portable/mobile market, then maybe they'll make plans for the new PSP. I doubt it will happen because Im guessing Iphones run on a modified "lite" version of Apple OS (and Im also guessing UDK runs on Mac), while the PSP just runs on its own native OS, so its once again, a closed market, but I'll keep my fingers crossed so hard it hurts.

Comment

I've seen PS3 and XBox mentioned in certain places on UDK (code and some properties in the editor) so I feel Epic probably just left the ability to use it out of UDK because with it being free to anyone, it would probably be a burden on Sony and Microsoft if they had to sift through TONS of people trying to submit something for them to sell when a lot of it might not be anywhere near the quality they're looking for, which is unfortunate because a lot of good things can be made with UDK and just get overlooked.

If consoles are where UDK devs are looking to go, I feel UDK is really just going to be used as proof of concept if anything.

Comment

You're not going to be able to develop on the consoles, without the console dev kits, which you're not going to get as an average user. Aside from whatever deals they have going for the XBLA stuff or whatever. But that's XNA stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by shuriken88 View Post
                      That would be wicked. I suppose if Epic are already making venture's into the portable/mobile market, then maybe they'll make plans for the new PSP. I doubt it will happen because Im guessing Iphones run on a modified "lite" version of Apple OS (and Im also guessing UDK runs on Mac), while the PSP just runs on its own native OS, so its once again, a closed market, but I'll keep my fingers crossed so hard it hurts.
                      They already showed a demo of UE3 running on PSP Vita, with real-time shadows and post process FX

But since it's really a console, I doubt it'll be supported by UDK

Comment

I also strongly doubt it. The real caveat is that in order to develop for consoles, you require the hardware to develop it on (dev kits - whose agreements often require you to have a secure office to house them), and getting through the certification process is very expensive.

Comment

Working...
                        X