Video Cards and Customers who are not "Hardcore Gamers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Cards and Customers who are not "Hardcore Gamers"

Just curious what experiences other developers are having with this issue...

I started offering a small demo on my website... but alot people are complaining its too slow... I am guessing they have integrated graphics. (even though they have newer computers - duo core with 6 gigs ram, etc)

I am guessing this because I have a $60 card I purchased 2 years ago and my game works fine. Geforce 210 - Dont laugh lol!)

NOTE: I put the minimum requirements before they download... but many customers don't know what they have.

I just want to confirm that any sort of Integrated Video Cards will NOT be fast enough, correct? (Or... are newer computers these days coming out with GOOD INTEGRATED cards?)

Customers probably will need some sort of Dedicated Video card, correct? (even a $50 video card would be much better than integrated, right?)

I also found this link showing all games that run on integrated graphics cards (unreal and unreal tournament are on the list but the list is probably old)

http://wikibin.org/articles/games-th...-graphics.html

Thanks

the only integrated graphics chipsets that are good are in the new intel sandy bridge CPUs, anything below these are fairly crappy, if they have an integrated graphics card from Nvidia or AMD they should be ok, but generic chipsets like the intel 945gm are just total ****.

this is the most i managed to get out of it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...pueq93C0#t=56s

Comment

My integrated AMD 3xxx series is absolute ****, and I tried a Nvidia 240 a couple months ago, and it was slightly worse performing than my GF8600 that I had tried to replace it with. I'm rather happy with the price-performance on my NV 450 though.

That said, you didn't supply a link to your demo, so I can't really give an opinion on it performance wise.

Comment

Interesting... Thanks for the info guys...

My experience is showing that alot of people still have systems that cannot run the UDK engine properly.

I took the demo down - it's now a closed beta since too many people were downloading and complaining it was too slow (but let me know Blade if you really want to take a look)

I may need to optimise a bit... but like I said above... I have a 2 year old $60 card geforce 210 and it works fine. So I am guessing that a lot of people have onboard video or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkinworm View Post
          the only integrated graphics chipsets that are good are in the new intel sandy bridge CPUs, anything below these are fairly crappy, if they have an integrated graphics card from Nvidia or AMD they should be ok, but generic chipsets like the intel 945gm are just total ****.

this is the most i managed to get out of it
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...pueq93C0#t=56s
          The AMD Llano APUs steamroll Sandy bridge in integrated graphics performance, they get close to the performance of a low end dedicated GPU.

Comment

Hmmm, what's your target audience? Because, at least in my ring of friends and acquaintances, nowadays anybody who even tries to play games on their PCs and not just move to the latest console as they're released, know at least a little bit about what's in their PC. So... And if your GPU was purchased two years ago for a mere $60 (USD, I'm assuming) then... Really, any "PC Gamer" should be able to play it.

Now, being a PC Gamer doesn't necessarily mean you're "Hardcore." I consider hardcore people the ones who picked up three GTX 570s for Tri-SLI on release day.

But anyway, I'm with Blade, let us take a crack at it. My CPU is on the weak side, but I have a GTX 460 SuperClocked and run most games playably maxed so unless you have a large open-world populated with seven dozen AI, it shouldn't lag me any.

Comment

I'd love to have a look. I'm a sick man that enjoys performance analysis

Comment

im running on a 5 yr old laptop which had mid end integrated graphics and getting 60fps consistently. using a combination of the scale lowend command a tiny resolution makes the frame rates jump up

Comment

ugh, "scale lowend" turns off -so- much stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                    I'd love to have a look. I'm a sick man that enjoys performance analysis
                    This sounds like me, actually. So much so that sometimes I just play games to see how I run them (like how I periodically re-install Crysis just to see the effects of my latest upgrades).

Comment

Working...
                    X