Making a light act like fire? (Tips)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a light act like fire? (Tips)

I know how to do it with hooking the toggleable light up in Kismet, and then manipulating it in Matinee, but the problem is the matinee part. The results I get look really crappy with the orange light. This is what I currently do that yields **** results.

1: Make a new Light Group with the Pointlight Toggleable.

2: Utilize the Brightness category.

3: Make a quite small animation that loops (like half a second), putting a few keyframes that make the light flash darker and brighter are points in the animation duration ( I know it ryhmes xD).

And that is it, again I don't really like the results and I would like to get some tips. Thanks you guys!

You could try using a light function with a point light, plug a sine wave into the emissive slot maybe?
    Though you'd need to make a more elaborate material so that it would look more random

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
      You could try using a light function with a point light, plug a sine wave into the emissive slot maybe?
      Though you'd need to make a more elaborate material so that it would look more random
      Explain both of these methods? xD.

Comment

you could just search UDN for Light Functions

Comment

Originally posted by Wizzard~Of~Ozz View Post
          you could just search UDN for Light Functions
          Hmm ok when I try to make a light function in the Light Component Properties, and I press the blue triangle, and select Light Component, nothing happens whatsoever. lt also has a note when you hover over it saying that only non light mapped lights (UseDirectLightMap=False) can have light functions but I can't find where to adjust this setting....

Comment

Make sure you use Toggleable or Movable versions of those lights. This has recently changed, updated UDN to reflect changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
              Make sure you use Toggleable or Movable versions of those lights. This has recently changed, updated UDN to reflect changes.
              Hmm still nothing. I tried with a toggle-able Point light and it still won't make the new light function object...

Comment

Ok scratch that. I can do it in any level except for the one I made. So it seems to be a problem with the level itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Outstandish View Post
                  Ok scratch that. I can do it in any level except for the one I made. So it seems to be a problem with the level itself?
                  Make sure your level name doesn't have any spaces in it or other invalid characters such as ?!,.

Team13

Comment

Originally posted by Team13 View Post
                    Make sure your level name doesn't have any spaces in it or other invalid characters such as ?!,.

Team13
                    Thanks seem to have worked!

Now to actually make the fire light function xD.

Comment

Working...
                    X