Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help

I am making a game in unreal engine and i need some help with one part...
    i want to be able to teleport to another level once i get to a certain point ant teleport back to that level from the new level, somewhat like the way you move between places in borderlands... i just need to load that level, save my progress in the previous level, and remove the previous level to save memory... any help would be appreciated...

You'll need to define exactly what you mean by "save my progress in the previous level", and then write code to actually save and restore that state.

After you've done that, you can simply ConsoleCommand("open levelname") or use streaming.

Comment

Thanks, so i use coding and open levelname... have you ever played borderlands? what i mean by "save my progress in the previous level" is that lets say i blow up a building in area 1 and progress to area 2... later on in the game, i will return to area 1 for more of the storyline and instead of loading the map with the building intact, it will be destroyed

Comment

I think you misunderstand how saving generally works, you can't just save the entire world like that, so there's not just one save function that will save absolutely everything the player has done. There's no "enable save" button.

Instead you save variables defined by you, that the savesystem of your choise checks when you tell it to, then it will change the variables in-game.
        How you use those variables are again defined by you.
        In your example you could make a bool, then check the variable every time you enter the level, for instance "IsBuildingIntact" or somesuch. If true, load the intact building, if false load the demolished building. When the player demolishes the building, you change that variable to false and save it.

Savesystems aren't as easy as most people think. Often it will be useful, at least in bigger games to script a setup where all new objects that needs it will inherently contain such variables, states, and a way to change it easily in-engine. It will take a while and a lot of headaches to get it working in the first place, but you'll have a lot easier times and less repetition and save a lot of work in the long run.

Comment

Hey, this unrealscript and funtions are starting to sound alot like C++... this i can work with

Comment

Working...
          X