No announcement yet.

Epic Games Releases July 2011 Unreal Development Kit Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simplygon still doesn't work on static meshes. It does on skeletal meshes.

I can't even generate a new LOD for the static mesh. When I hit simplify, it does nothing.

Could I be missing something here?

Comment

Hi I’m new in this forum and in game development as well. I don’t know much about developing games but I know that the mesh simplification is going to make life a bit easy. I have been modeling during my free time and programming in class, it seems as if my love of the two will be finally combined. Should I look for another game engine I will be wasting my time. As a programmer let me say “hello world”

Comment

Originally posted by Froyok View Post
        Hooo ! I found a very annoying bug : I can't move the Mesh Paint (Mode) window if my mouse is in left handed mode. None of my mouse clicks work, but if I invert my mouse button (right handed mode) it works fine.
        I hope you will fix this bug, because he is also here in the may beta.

(Tested on windows 7 64bit, but I guess it's not dependent of the OS)
        Bug still here.
        The only thing that I can do in left-handed mode is closing the window.

Originally posted by Froyok View Post
        Yeah, new bug :
        the post-process chain doesn't work ingame (full game launch) but works in the editor.
        Tested with custom chains, official chains, on custom maps and with official maps.
        I can't run the engine in DX11, but in DX9 there is not post-process chain effect while running in game mode.

(Tested on : windows 7 64b, 4gb of ram, ATI moblity HD4670 with drivers up to date, dual core.)
        I think it was a mistake from myself, because I have redone a test for this "bug". Without saying what is the default gametype, it's the "mobile" gametype which is chosen, right ? Well, with the UTDeathmatch gametype no more problem.
        So i guess this is why is DX11 mode it works by default, mobile platform don't support DX11 so it's an other default gametype which is chosen.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
          Very sweet update. BTW I'll be doing more tuts very soon.
          Hey Henrik,
          I watched your tutorials a long time back now and they were brilliant.

If you can, and if you want a couple of million hits on your channel, do some tuts on a Scaleform Inventory!

Comment

Originally posted by seenooh View Post
            Simplygon still doesn't work on static meshes. It does on skeletal meshes.

I can't even generate a new LOD for the static mesh. When I hit simplify, it does nothing.

Could I be missing something here?
            Simplygon does work on static meshes...I just double checked when I read your post..
            You must be doing soething wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Tolerator View Post
              Hi I’m new in this forum and in game development as well. I don’t know much about developing games but I know that the mesh simplification is going to make life a bit easy. I have been modeling during my free time and programming in class, it seems as if my love of the two will be finally combined. Should I look for another game engine I will be wasting my time. As a programmer let me say “hello world”
              I hardly think that the Epic Games forums is a place to ask about other game engines.

Plus we all already know that they couldn't even slightly compare to UDK and the Unreal Engine.....
              The other problem too is that they are s**t lol.............

Comment

It seems that it works on meshes where the source path is available. Meaning, I can't use them on the stock assets, but I do on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by seenooh View Post
                  It seems that it works on meshes where the source path is available. Meaning, I can't use them on the stock assets, but I do on my own.
                  I would assume the original source art data is needed to perform the simplification process. This data is cooked out of the packages during the cooking process, which means anything that comes with UDK will not have the source art data.

Comment

Please fix the terrain collision bugs with the template maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Vembumees View Post
                      Please fix the terrain collision bugs with the template maps.
                      Vembumees, what are you referring to? Do you have a specific example?

Comment

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
                        I hardly think that the Epic Games forums is a place to ask about other game engines.

Plus we all already know that they couldn't even slightly compare to UDK and the Unreal Engine.....
                        The other problem too is that they are s**t lol.............
                        That wasn't a question "should I look for another game engine?", that was a complete statement "should I [go] look[ing] for another game engine, I would be wasting my time".

Comment

Maybe a bit late, but here is the monthly change in the config files, always a good start to discover minor changes which might not have made it into the official change log.

Seems like we got some mysterious stuff about the streaming system, some kind of dedicated camera for previewing stuff, some minor stuff about SoundCues (console commands and options when creating them) and a hint about Android.

DefaultEngine.ini
                          Code:
                          added:
                          [Engine.Engine]
                          […]
                          bUseStreamingPause=true
                          UDKEditor.ini
                          Code:
                          added:
                          [CameraPreview]
                          DefaultPreviewPawnClassName=Engine.MatineePawn
                          DefaultAnimSlotName=Custom_FullBody

[IntrinsicMetaData]
                          […]
                          SoundFactory_CuePackageSuffix=ToolTip| If not empty, generated SoundCues will be placed in PackageCuePackageSuffix, but only if bAutoCreateCue is true
                          StaticMesh_bStripComplexCollisionForConsole=ToolTip|If true, strips unwanted complex collision data aka kDOPTree when cooking for consoles. On the Playstation 3 vertex data of this mesh will be stored in video memory.
                          UDKEngine.ini
                          Code:
                          added:
                          [Engine.Engine]
                          […]
                          LandscapeHolePhysMaterialName=EngineMaterials.LandscapeHolePhysicalMaterial
                          bUseStreamingPause=true

[Core.System]
                          […]
                          Suppress=DevStreaming

[ConfigCoalesceFilter]
                          […]
                          FilterOut=Properties.int

[SystemSettings]
                          […]
                          bAllowPostprocessMLAA=False
                          bAllowLightShafts=FALSE

[SystemSettingsAndroid] // Yep, Android incoming…
                          BasedOn=SystemSettingsMobileTextureBias
                          UDKInput.ini
                          Code:
                          added:
                          [Engine.Console]
                          […]
                          ManualAutoCompleteList=(Command="Stat SOUNDWAVES",Desc="Stat SOUNDWAVES (Shows active SoundWaves)")
                          ManualAutoCompleteList=(Command="Stat SOUNDCUES",Desc="Stat SOUNDCUES (Shows active SoundCues)")
                          ManualAutoCompleteList=(Command="Stat SOUNDS",Desc="Stat SOUNDS <?> <sort=distance|class|name|waves|default> <-debug> <off> (Shows active SoundCues and SoundWaves)")

Comment

It's normal that only the "Game view" mode and the "Lighting Only" mode display the hair of my character ? (The hair is a simple translucent material)
                            Other mode (not the wireframe mode of course) doesn't display the texture.

My drivers are up to date. So I don't understand...

Comment

I havean idea for bandwith in future versions

I havean idea for bandwith in future versions.

1. Rage only calls ram for load textures 3 times each frame, any exceptions for more. Reason: virtual texturing.

2. Withouth big changes to actual udk, maybe can have a system for precache textures, mixing/convert to megatextures: 4 skin textures of 1024x1024 as mosaic of 4096x4096. Another for objets of 512x512 as mosaic of 16, 4096x4096 total.

3. No needs complications. In a race game the skins for cars can be loaded with less calls to ram ( example ).

I presume is better for unified arquitecture, less stops to cpu. Better organization.

-----

Im not programmer.

About the lionhead's ideas presented for milo, the new texture compressions surprised me. Mainly uses jpg algorythm.

Can be used with my idea? Less time of cpu working on uncompression? Better bandwith using both?

Anyone think that precache can be will automatic? I pressume need categories for materials, like characters, objects...

Comment

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
                                Hey Henrik,
                                I watched your tutorials a long time back now and they were brilliant.

If you can, and if you want a couple of million hits on your channel, do some tuts on a Scaleform Inventory!
                                Thanks

Yeah I can imagine it would - it also requires some decent code knowledge. I may get deeper into the Scaleform side of things, but I am going to focus on a more comprehensive approach to overall UDK development first.

Comment

Working...
                                X