MMO with UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMO with UDK?

I was wondering if anyone here knew how if I was able to make an MMO with the Unreal Engine (UDK)? If so, how do i go by making it usable with the online play and everything?

Before you go down that road, do you think you can actually afford to produce one?

Comment

Before you go down that road, did you try search? There's been many threads about MMO's with UDK. In fact, at least two in the past week.

Comment

I dont know anything about cost or anything, hence why im asking. Its hard enough to search these forums for things that i myself have posted let alone search for a question i want answered. plus i like to boost my thread counts by asking my own questions, sorry if this irritates some but hopefully ill get an answer to whatever i post by some cool guy round here who just wants to help the needy....Back to the MMO note, i know that there is a few engines that do MMO precisely but i just wanted to know if UDK can and how would i go by making my game Massively available online? Free i might add...I dont sell my ideas...(Crazy? I know)...ANy help is good help

Comment

Oh no, not this again... Try this topic here or this one here. I thought the MMO buzz had died on here. Guess it just wont die. The first link is the better of the two btw.

Comment

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I didnt realize that MMO's were more than 2,000 people on one server, i just thought that it was something dealing with a bunch of people. Thanks last guy for the links...So, UDK can handle up to 64 people on one server? Thats good enough for me to get started with...Thanks all for your help

Comment

Annoyingly, you can't search the forums for 'MMO', because you can't search for less than four characters.

Comment

I assume you can just type 'MMO Game" or something but yeah it is annoying

Comment

Or Online Multiplayer

Or these days you could just search for "Search"

Comment

One of the great things about UDK is its network code. Sure, it's "limited" to 64 players on a given server (unless you want to do a lot of coding), but you can always add cross server discussions / hookups so people can communicate with more people.

Anyway, the NetworkingOverview page has great information about the various terms and is important if you're creating a lot of customizations so your assets are properly replicated between clients. The Steam page talks about how to incorporate Steam, if you want to go that route. However, if you just want someone to jump into your map, you can load a map on your computer then type "open [ip address]" in the UDK console on the second computer.

Comment

Cool, I love UDK and think that its the best Engine out there for me...They are constantly upgrading their Kit to, like i love how they added the Scene selection at the startup of a new Template in UDK June edition. Pretty soon theyll have an entire game for you to selsct from and all youll have to do is add players...."But on the MMO thing, i figured that i would rather have up to 64 players at a time, thats well enough for my game and after i make it ill post it here and see what goes on from there...Thanks to all

Comment

Working...
                      X