Starting out and would like some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I think try to sign up for an educational liscense for maya and 3dsmax so i can learn to use those tools

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kg777 View Post
    ultrapwnd- you only need to learn the principles of colouring ,shadows and highlights. unless you insist on doing concept art before hand.reason i say that is because once in the game enviroment everything is models and textures.
    been able to draw on paper makes no diff, but understanding colour and lighting is very important to achieving a desired look/style.
    one thing ive found is that if your going for a realistic look it is hard to achieve,but if you want a unique art style is much easier.

iam still very new to UDK and tbh not sure what does what. i got good results starting with the E3 demo materials or the foliege map ones.the ones linked to material instance constant. between the material editor and instance editor you can make any look you want.turn a solid texture to see thru sheet of glass for example that shimmers with glow effects like uve added an in game light.lol made by mistake btw.i got some very kool looking trees all diff looks. whats best thing about it is the instance editor is real time so any changes updates any meshes in your map.you can fine tune the style alot when combined with ingame lights and post processing.
    if i make any cell shadered materials, i will send them you.
    thank you, any materials would be appreciated

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes, sir, artistry does require some skill
    coding requires/uses a totally diff part of your brain.i struggle with code the same way you struggle with art.+ over the years most software ive used has been visual,i started with making music which is not an exact science , in the sense anything can work given the right situation.alot of the basic rules are ignored and you focus purely on what your hearing.art is the same , its the final result and not how you got there.
    lol some could argue coding is an artform ,because literature is.but i see it more as math/science.

anyone heard of i-racing ?

its a racing simulation and they are making a legendary new tire model, they are claiming is a full simulation within the sim.groundbreaking code that never been done etc.this is the type of coding games need to do more off. its funny i think games physics etc should go more realistic but the visuals should go more art based.:}/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ultrapwnd- you only need to learn the principles of colouring ,shadows and highlights. unless you insist on doing concept art before hand.reason i say that is because once in the game enviroment everything is models and textures.
    been able to draw on paper makes no diff, but understanding colour and lighting is very important to achieving a desired look/style.
    one thing ive found is that if your going for a realistic look it is hard to achieve,but if you want a unique art style is much easier.

iam still very new to UDK and tbh not sure what does what. i got good results starting with the E3 demo materials or the foliege map ones.the ones linked to material instance constant. between the material editor and instance editor you can make any look you want.turn a solid texture to see thru sheet of glass for example that shimmers with glow effects like uve added an in game light.lol made by mistake btw.i got some very kool looking trees all diff looks. whats best thing about it is the instance editor is real time so any changes updates any meshes in your map.you can fine tune the style alot when combined with ingame lights and post processing.
    if i make any cell shadered materials, i will send them you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
    thankfully, i'm willing to learn

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i would like to have a distinct visual style, and a gameplay hook so i can set it apart from other games

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ultrapwnd View Post
    I am also looking to make an artistic 2d platformer
    EDIT: anything artistic or eye catching, now if only i could draw :\

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kg777 View Post
    on the artistic side learn how to make/edit shaders.the UDk comes with some that are very advanced which you can add to /change .i had no idea how much difference they make until tonight.u can create any style/look you want with them . mirrors edge game for example.
    oh cool i will look into that as i am trying to go for a cell shaded look

Leave a comment:

• replied
    on the artistic side learn how to make/edit shaders.the UDk comes with some that are very advanced which you can add to /change .i had no idea how much difference they make until tonight.u can create any style/look you want with them . mirrors edge game for example.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am also looking to make an artistic 2d platformer
    EDIT: anything artistic or eye catching, now if only i could draw :\

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you want to protect your company name you could trademark it. If you get far enough in a project where it is worth it.

There are many places to buy domains, they're pretty cheap. Usually you'd pay for the domain with the website hosting, otherwise you can register a domain for like $10 a year I think (ish).

Website hosting is like $10 a month or so. Check 1&1 Hosting.

If you're making a free game you don't need a license at all. Otherwise you would need a license for the company (1 license for the company which allows you to produce as many UDK games as you want). Or 1 license for yourself if it's just you that is selling the game. And again, you only need to pay for a license if you are planning on selling the game.

The Unreal Engine that's used in big studios is the same exact thing--only difference is that they can develop for consoles, like Xbox 360 and PS3, and they have full source code access along with support from Epic Games.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Starting out and would like some advice

Starting out and would like some advice

Ive looked into making games for a while but i really would like to now, but i have a few questions. First being studio name, do i have to trademark it? or can i just make one up and make games under that brand?

Another question being the website, where an I buy domains, and is there a free alternative such as blogs? how much would a domain cost and what would I use to make nice site.

I am brand new in using UDK and cannot do all this by myself, where can i make a team? I am also a little under 18 and cannot sell games, would another person, that could be on my team purchase the license? although i would like to make a free game first to get accustomed to the tools, and how to use them.

another question is the unreal engine that big companies use for AAA games any different than UDK?

anyone's input would be nice to help me answer any of the questions.
Working...
X