Lua scripting support in UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lua scripting support in UDK?

Hello to all. Lately I stumbled upon UDK, among other game engines to see which one is suiting the best my needs to begin to develop some cool games. At first sight UDK is The BEST excepting one single area! The programming part of it. As I can see UDK is using a very specialized programming language (unreal script) that is used only by this game engine, and as some stated here is prety dificult to pick-up.

My question is if UDK will have support for other scripting languages, especialy LUA? Lua is tending to be de facto scripting language for scripting, lately. Easy to learn, easy to implement in game engines.

P.S. Searched first (to avoid double posting) for Lua in this forum, but no results returned.

No, I don't think you'll ever see Lua in any Unreal Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by attanze View Post
      and as some stated here is prety dificult to pick-up.
      It is not true, the language itself is very similar to C++ but easier. It introduces some games-specific concepts like states, but they are not hard to understand. The problem can be getting used to huge amount of code provided along with engine, but it is doable

Comment

Originally posted by attanze View Post
        Hello to all. Lately I stumbled upon UDK, among other game engines to see which one is suiting the best my needs to begin to develop some cool games. At first sight UDK is The BEST excepting one single area! The programming part of it. As I can see UDK is using a very specialized programming language (unreal script) that is used only by this game engine, and as some stated here is prety dificult to pick-up.

My question is if UDK will have support for other scripting languages, especialy LUA? Lua is tending to be de facto scripting language for scripting, lately. Easy to learn, easy to implement in game engines.

P.S. Searched first (to avoid double posting) for Lua in this forum, but no results returned.
        de facto scripting language according to -whom-?

Using a language that is designed specifically to work with the features of the engine is somehow worse than using a language that was built to be an IRC bot or something?

Comment

if you spend more then 10 mins trying to learn Uscript, its np.

Comment

Working...
          X