Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] can somebody tell me how to properly set the lightings for foliage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] can somebody tell me how to properly set the lightings for foliage?

Im using the template "midday lighting" and "painted" some trees (then in the viewport the shadows from the trees casted very good), then I run a full build and besides it takes a lot of time (it was a few tress I dont want to imagine how much time an entire wood can take!!) well after that I entered to play (PIE) and can see that the shadows were almost a few grey lines... very sad:
    see the attached image please, yes it seems like I should increase the landscape lightmass resolution or something is that the way you guys do it? Mister Epic dont you think it'll be a good idea to include in the ligthing template something that can fix this by default?
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Increasing landscape lightmap resolution will make the shadows sharper. Note that increasing it will increase your build times a lot. If you have a big landscape, I'd use cascaded shadow maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
      Increasing landscape lightmap resolution will make the shadows sharper. Note that increasing it will increase your build times a lot. If you have a big landscape, I'd use cascaded shadow maps.
      but is'nt this landscape thing a kind of ready for this type o situations? or when landspace system was planned was not lighting been acounted? (sorry for my english).
      Besides we arte talking about static lighting till now But if there is wind and I want the shadows of the trees move? (just like in that german "nameless" engine) is that posible?
      has foliage system a kind of "impostor" solution?

Comment

Moving foliage w/ shadows requires dynamic shadows, which is what Xendance meant by cascaded shadow maps.

Comment

thanks but exactly what should I change here? and how to deactivate ligthmass cast shadows only for the trees? Thanks

Comment

SOLVED, i just set "whole scene dynamic shadow radius" to 500... that way when Im near (inside 500 units of course) the dynamic shadows appear, otherwise the precomputed (lightmassed) are visible.
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X