Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to get a geometry based HUD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to get a geometry based HUD?

Hey everyone.

I'm tinkering with a few concepts and i was curious if it's possible to get a HUD that is entirely geometry and material driven. A good example of this is the Hawken game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is9nujmgPBo

I'm not looking to use scaleform, I'm trying to create a custom geometry based user interface that i will script to change through kismet. Is this even possible?

You could but it may not be as dynamic on the iOS, since you can't use material instances. So you'd need to do animating textures.

Comment

ah shoot. I meant for this to go under the Generic Discussions section, my bad. What I'm looking to do i will start out on the PC, and then port to ISO later on so at least this info wasn't time wasted. Thanks Snake!

By the way, do you happen to know how you could set up such a HUD for PC?

Comment

Sure you can...just attach geo to camera. Then do kismittey stuff to it.

Comment

Well the issue i have is that my scene has multiple cameras set up already with 'Set Camera Target' attached to them so the camera can smoothly transition dynamically no matter where the cameras are placed in the world since the cameras themselves are animating. Because of this, i can't parent geometry to just a single camera. (unless I'm missing something that is)

Is there possibly a 'master camera node' that i could code into Kismet to make geometry follow a the camera that is rendered, not just the cameras placed in the level, or is there another method around this that you can think of?

Comment

sorry...dont' think a master camera node is possible. You could teleport geo though when you switch

Comment

Easiest solution: UnrealScript.

Probably just a MeshComponent added to a custom Camera class.

Comment

Working...
              X