Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    thanks for the advice..
    im going to be spending proty much the next week of so doing showreel stuff for my interview at jagex as a content developer.
    iv also been asked by my college to do the showreel for the course cause all we have at the moment is animation work and not actual games so.

il take everythink in to account and thankyou
    il post up the link to my rell 1s its completed

Catie F
    xXxXxXx
    xXxXx
    xXx
    x

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe not for each every job but I recommend different reel for different industry you're applying to. And it doesn't even need to be recreated. Just reorder the pieces. I reviewed quite a bit of demo reels and ones that starts with content not related to the job doesn't usually gets reviewed to the end. I usually give it 30 seconds and move on to the next one unless it's really entertaining.

Some other tips are... don't include piece that some 50 people worked together on. Like a clip from a movie.
    It always helps reviewer if you include how much time you spent on each piece.
    No logo animations. Maybe one or two if they're really creative one.
    2 minutes is ideal. 3 minutes max. If you're demo reel is less than that, don't fill it up with slide shows.
    Put your best or second best work in the beginning. Reviewers expect the best work in the beginning because that's how most of them come.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You don't need a showreel for each place your applying to--no one does that, it would be a big waste of time. A demo reel is supposed to show what you've done and what your skills are. However, when you apply for a job, it's best to take your time and make personalized letters for each place, explain why you specifically want to work for them (and hopefully say more than just "I like your games")

For your reel, keep it short like 2 minutes ideally, 3 minutes maximum. Keep it very simple, use only your best work. The saying is that you will be judged by your worst piece so you want to make sure everything you show is the highest quality.

The type of stuff that you put in there needs to be specific to the job that you want to have. Don't just fill it with all the kinds of work that you've done. Like for instance, if you're going for a character artist position, don't have simulation tests that you've done. If you have other work that is worth showing but not related, leave it to a separate section of your website. But always make sure to focus on the job position you want.

Since you're listing works that are extremely different from each other, I would guess you haven't figured out what position you want, ideally you would have figured that out before you graduate so that you would have the time to build a portfolio directed at getting that job. If you don't think you've got enough work in one specific job to be able to get a job there, you might have some problems and consider trying to spend a bunch of time to build up work in that area.

For instance in games there are these types of jobs:

Character Artist--modeling and designing characters including low-poly modeling, sculpting and texturing. There are many places that need good character artists.

Environment Artist--modeling assets for environments. Which can be modular pieces that can be configured in different ways along with unique items. This is another more common job available.

Animator--Just that, animates characters and other animatable things. Many places need animators.

Level Designer--builds level design and places assets, may include setting up triggers and events along with lighting. A big point of this job is figuring out how the level design impacts gameplay. This is another common job.

There's some less common positions that might be done by those artists, but some larger places have specific positions for these tasks like lighting, particle FX, cinematics and stuff like that.

There's also programming, but it looks like you're looking for an artist position.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Showreel help

Showreel help

hai iv recently finished college and i need to create a showreel and portfolio for college but i have no idea what will make a decent one.
    my teachers said make a seperate one for each different job but i think doing an overall one will be easier for me cause i dont relly have time to make about 20 seperate showreels.

all im asking for is what is needed to go in to the showreel to make it good,
    e.g.
    facial animations.
    simulation/ particle effects.
    maps ext.

please just right a list of what you think is needed for a good showreel.

thanks
    Catie F
    xXxXxXx
    xXxXx
    xXx
    x
Working...
X