iOS support: return of OpenGL ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iOS support: return of OpenGL ?

As i have noticed UDK Mobile uses OpenGL for rendering. Does it means that there will be OpenGL support in Unreal Engine again (maybe even in Windows version)?
    p.s. As i know Direct3D is Windows-only renderer, thus porting to other OSes (Macs, mobile, etc.) means return of OpenGL...

To be honest, I doubt that OpenGL support in the mobile edition is indicative of OpenGL support in the standard edition. The renderers are quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
      The renderers are quite different.
      But why not to use same renderer for all editions. Methought it is simplier than be tearing between two quite different renderers...

Comment

Mac version of the Unreal Engine has been in works for quite a while. Windows version probably won't get OpenGL support though.

Sony, Nintendo and other companies needs to have really strong support* on OpenGL before companies like Epic switch from DX to OpenGL development. Afaik Unreal Engine is heavily focused on xbox more than anything.

* support as in dominant market share on everything.

Comment

I usually use OpenGL when I write my own programs, and it's pretty darn frustrating trying to do anything really complex with it.

Problem is, it's very difficult these days to maintain a single renderer due to the platforms. For example:

XBox uses DirectX
          PC uses DirectX or OpenGL
          PS3 uses a form of OpenGL
          Mobile devices tend to use OpenGL ES

OpenGL at the end of the day is a mess to develop with; unless you just want to do simple things.

Comment

All IDTech engines beginning from "quake 1" use OpenGL.
            I use OpenGL for my 3D programs and games and i think it as functional as Direct3D.

Comment

From a business standpoint, I would guess no. If the forecast continues to call for Sony fail, there's no reason to, since a lot of people who own macs (a tiny fraction of pc gamers) own an iOS device. If anything, they'd be best off trying to produce a webgl/etc flavor to compete with unity.

Especially since Microsoft is pumping a lot of funds into the next generation of consoles and dx, developing opengl enough to be competitive doesn't make a lot of sense. I would guess if UDK ever supports Mac, it would be aimed at the casual games market.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                All IDTech engines beginning from "quake 1" use OpenGL.
                I use OpenGL for my 3D programs and games and i think it as functional as Direct3D.
                ID games stopped impressing me after Quake 4. They pull a lot of tricks out of the bag, which is fine when it's contained to one game.

P.S. You guys should check out some of the open source ray casting stuff that works with Java. You could even use something like Processing, which has some Ray Casting plugins, to mess around with.

Comment

Problem is, is that OpenGL is more or less dead. The last revision of the spec was in no way better than the previous spec if not down right stupid. The major problems i have with it are:

Multi threaded rendering is not really that easy to do with OpenGL where as it is a piece of cake with DirectX 11 and higher.

No minimum device specifications. Everyone says they support OpenGL, but usually it is only a portion of OpenGL. i have come across so many cards that claim to support OpenGL only to find some commands just break, do nothing or crash the drivers.

Device cap checking is not an ideal way of checking for required extensions. Yes it is more flexible, but you cant really ever rely on them... Especially when drivers can return the device cap but not support it!

Drivers often implement OpenGL according to how the interpret the function. I have had no end of trouble ensuring that both nVidia and ATi render the scene correctly. Often there is annoyances with precision values, or misinterpretation of how rounding works (0.5f is done differently on the two brands).

So yes, you can do complex stuff with OpenGL and it is capable up tp at least DirectX ... But DirectX is moving and developing at pace much faster than OpenGL. Eventually OpenGL will be so out dated that it is simply a pain to do anything with it.

So why do some consoles like the PS3 use it? It's because they develop their own style of OpenGL.

Id Tech 5 does support DirectX because it runs on the XBox360, it doesn't have a choice on the matter. However, if you look up to J. Carmack, even he has changed his opinion about DirectX now. He says that DirectX now is at a state which is usable and it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                    PS3 uses a form of OpenGL
                    For the record, it supports a form of OpenGL, but it also supports its own custom API, which most developers adopt.

Comment

Yeah, making it even a more of a pain in the ***

Comment

Working...
                      X