most basic pc for running UDK 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most basic pc for running UDK 2011

Just a qick question, I can get my hands on an i3 intel PC. Its all good except it needs a graphics card. If I installed a good graphcs card will that be fine to run the latest UDK editor ? And what graphics card could I get away with

There's a sticky at the top that has the minimum PC specs

Comment

if you can get that i3 to like 2.8ghz would be sweet, and graphics card is really dependednt on budget gtx460s are fairly cheap but the i3 would bottleneck the speed of it and the ram

Comment

Thanks to you both

I just get very confused with all the different i3,i5,i7 and sandy bridge and all these other terms. Right now I am using the 2009 UDK editor on a Dell Latitude D630(2007 make) which runs the 2009 UDK editor just fine but plays the game very badly. Still I am a dead set fan of Dell, it beats my Acer laptop in every way. The Dell also runs Blender very well.

I was going to buy a desktop off ebay for under $1000 so I could run the 20011 UDK editor but my brother has an i3 desktop practically giving it away, e is a programmer and always upgrading. He only works for website contractors and databases bvut thinks the i3 he has would be fine if i installed a graphics card. He said putting in an i5 later would be a 3 second operation if i needed it.

I havent even gone around to look at it yet, I will this week. I just hope it has good old fashioned serial port which i do use to this day and a firewire port for my vid camera

ps. it will come with win 7 ultimate 32 bit installed.

Comment

An i3 will cover you fine, especially if the price is right. Also, your bro's machine might be more ready to be upgraded over a Dell desktop; a lot of times a company box will come with a power supply that's really only strong enough to handle what's already in the box. I'd say buy your brother's machine, check and make sure the power supply is >550w, and then throw your extra PC money into a good video card. An i3 may only be a dual core but it should be sufficient to get the work done, although it will probably be your biggest limitation. Depending on what you're spending, an upper mid-range dx11 video card, a SSD or a couple cheap 7200rpm HDDs in RAID 0, and an upgrade to an i5 would push your system to awesomeness over adequacy.

Comment

Thanks ADF

PS. an SSD would be great, at a later date.

Comment

Working...
            X