Recommended UDK Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would hp envy 15 run udk

cpu: 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
    graphics card: 1GB dedicated graphics ati hd mobility radeon 5830 m
    RAM: 4GB RAM
    HDD: 500 HDD

Comment

Originally posted by Linkinworm View Post
      you should never get a laptop to develop anything on really, running these programs uses alot of cpu power, and laptops usualy use low power cpus so performance of a laptop cpu isnt clock for clock on par with a desktop = even worse for development
      Unless of course you don't feel like being tied to a desk like a 20th century techno-slave. Honestly if you can get a decent framerate on a laptop(which you **** well can and for a spell less than $1500.00) then I see zero reason to buying a desktop, for any application anymore.

$1800.00 seems crazy steep for me, although if you have the money why not I suppose you'll get a crazy good framerate out of the deal.. Just remember, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, your cpu is going to count for more than you GPU with UDK(assuming your baseline is pretty decent). Ram and CPU should be your priorities while still going for a decent GPU of course.

Personally I am holding out for AMD's new Trinity cores that should be coming out anytime now. Pretty amazing tech, the first high powered laptop APU's which is a tech I couldn't be more excited for

Comment

Originally posted by ironbelly View Post
        then I see zero reason to buying a desktop, for any application anymore.
        Being able to install 2 monitors is the reason for me to buy a workstation.

Comment

Originally posted by ironbelly View Post
          Unless of course you don't feel like being tied to a desk like a 20th century techno-slave. Honestly if you can get a decent framerate on a laptop(which you **** well can and for a spell less than $1500.00) then I see zero reason to buying a desktop, for any application anymore.

$1800.00 seems crazy steep for me, although if you have the money why not I suppose you'll get a crazy good framerate out of the deal.. Just remember, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, your cpu is going to count for more than you GPU with UDK(assuming your baseline is pretty decent). Ram and CPU should be your priorities while still going for a decent GPU of course.

Personally I am holding out for AMD's new Trinity cores that should be coming ou

t anytime now. Pretty amazing tech, the first high powered laptop APU's which is a tech I couldn't be more excited for
          I bought a Sager laptop a few years back, they use a standard motherboard just like in a desktop as well as the video card. The GPU and CPU were the same for my Sager and Desktop, except my desktop had SLI and was overclocked and liquid cooled. I had no problem running high frame rates or developing on the Sager, granted I think I paid almost $4K for it. My only complaint and I still have it is that running on battery only lasted about 20 minutes max when gaming. It was great when I had to travel for work. I took my work computer and my Sager and could still develop at the hotel or better yet near the pool..... But I got distracted a lot there.

Comment

Working...
          X