Recommended UDK Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended UDK Laptop

I am looking for a 'decent' laptop to run UDK.

If you are using a laptop, can you share the specs?

thanks

Here is what I am thinking of currently:
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit edit
    MEMORY 6GB DDR3 at 1333MHz (2DIMMS) edit
    VIDEO CARD 1.5GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M edit
    HARD DRIVE 320GB 7,200RPM HDD edit
    LCD PANEL 17.3-inch WideFHD 1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED edit

that looks like a solid laptop. the gfx card suports dx11 so yea. if you have the money it's nice. but you should specify how much money you have. maybe experienced people around here can find a cheaper and better solution for you.

Comment

Thanks.

Well this config is about 1800$. I'd like to stay under $1500.

Comment

HP seems cheaper than Dell.

Are these gfx good, better or worse than 1.5GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M?

1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6490M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
        1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
        2GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]

Comment

How about ASUS G74SX-A1.

Between ASUS and Dell, I'd rather get the ASUS. Cheaper and newer.

Comment

Asus or Sager .......Sagers are nice - got one myself and thats what I dev on.

Comment

What's you Sager setup?

I really won't be trying to play games, so I'm thinking that even a $1200 laptop might work ?

Comment

I'll jump in since I'm looking for something similar. More like UDK+Modeling laptop. Dont need anything that great. I wouldn't go over 1400$ (dollars).
                From 1200 to 1400 dollars.

My Home PC:
                AMD x3 2.8 Ghz
                Radeon HD 4890 1Gb
                4Gb RAM

Now, how much would cost laptop with same power? Tho I can use even weaker.

BTW heating is also key factor.

I dont want to steal this topic. I just noticed fixitchris is asking for similar thing .

Comment

Originally posted by fixitchris View Post
                  How about ASUS G74SX-A1.

Between ASUS and Dell, I'd rather get the ASUS. Cheaper and newer.
                  I just bought that. Actually 3DE version. It may be that I got a lemon but I can't run UDK for more than 3 hours. Display gets corrupted and crashes. I've even underclocked the graphic card and bought a laptop cooler. Even when it's working fine within that 3 hours, it performs slower than a desktop I bought 2 years ago at half the price.

Based on my experience, I don't recommend ANY laptops.

Comment

you should never get a laptop to develop anything on really, running these programs uses alot of cpu power, and laptops usualy use low power cpus so performance of a laptop cpu isnt clock for clock on par with a desktop = even worse for development

Comment

I have an hp intel i5 running windows 7
                      4 gigs of ram
                      3.80 gigs of disc space and mine was 600 bucks. And it runs udk flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Chay Hawk View Post
                        I have an hp intel i5 running windows 7
                        4 gigs of ram
                        3.80 gigs of disc space and mine was 600 bucks. And it runs udk flawlessly.
                        3.8 gigs? Not 380 gigs?

Comment

I've got an older ASUS G51VX, C2D, 4GB ram, 7200rpm HDD and nVidia 260m, but it handles rather well. I only have the UDK editor running for half an hour to an hour average, though, as I spend most of my time programming with it. It handles UDK impressively IMO, I've built all my own desktops for the last ten years and my G51 handles UDK just as well as my aging desktop, which is slightly better in specs (as it should be, it's a desktop.) Desktop specs: Phenom II X3 710, 4gb ddr2, and an ATI 4870. Processors aside, the 4870 should out-step the 260m rather easy, but my laptop gets around 10fps higher in PIE. =/ I can only assume UDK just does better on nVidia cards, and this wouldn't be a bad thing to remember if you're interested in Apex...

Comment

I spent less than $1,000 on i7 920 system about 2 years ago. Without the monitors of course. Recently upgraded the graphic card to GTX 560Ti for $210. Its lightmass calculation is about 10% faster than the Asus G73SW-3DE which cost me $2,000. Game play performance... G73SW runs about 10fps lower than my 2 year old desktop with upgraded graphic card.

Yea there are laptops that runs UDK well. But desktops that costs half the price will run much much faster and more stable. Reason I got the laptop was for going into meetings, otherwise it clearly would've been money down the toilet. Don't get a laptop unless you really have to or have extra money to waste.

Comment

I got my laptop for this stuff here www.originpc.com and its awesome! here is the set up.

EON17 platform with Intel Core i7 and 1920 x 1080 Full HD 17.3" LED Backlit Glossy Screen
                              1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
                              Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz LGA 1366 Hex-Core Processor (12MB L3 Cache)
                              12GB Triple-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 X 4GB
                              RAID 5 : For performance and fault tolerance (3 identical drives needed)
                              Hard Drive One: 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
                              Hard Drive Two: 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
                              Hard Drive Three: 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive

And it is a Desktop processor in there, so you can have the same power in a moble version and its not to heavy. but 1500 wont gwt one of these. ASUS is a good one to get.

Comment

Working...
                              X