Max 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max 2012

Hey Guys , I recently got 3ds Max 2012 where as i used to use maya but decided to switch because of it being used alot more nowadays .

Im slowly learning it now and know all the basic tools .

Im just having having trouble with the new uvw unwrap tools because i can't find any tutorials as it's a entire newer uv system than the other versions as the buttons and tools are at diffrent locations

Can anyone help or direct me to tutorials ?

If you're new to Max, I'd actually recommend you downgrading to Max 2011 because:

- The new UVW tools are buggy and very slow, often leading to crashes and hang-ups
    - The Skin modifier used to weight verts to bones (if doing skeletal mesh work) is totally farked and unuseable (they missed something during beta testing)
    - The 2011 version still works like most previous versions and you'll be able to find a lot more info out there by way of tutorials etc

That said, here's one of the better demonstrations I've seen so far:
    LINK

Comment

Thanks for the advice ! again ...

Comment

the uv unwrap tool is exactly the same as its always been its just easier to sellect stuff now, you dont need a tutorial just hover over the new tools you'll find they are just the same tools in an easier place to find

Comment

Originally posted by Linkinworm View Post
          the uv unwrap tool is exactly the same as its always been its just easier to sellect stuff now, you dont need a tutorial just hover over the new tools you'll find they are just the same tools in an easier place to find
          Hawk is right about the buggy-ness though it doesn't really hold me back that much on a weaker pc. They did addressed some of the issues in the hotfix so get it if you haven't already.

Also a few of the issues with the uv editor have been fixed including the uniform scale bug, but there are still some things that need fixing in both the uv editor and max.

edit: the icons have changed a bit and there are new tools. It takes a bit to get use too. Just play with it for a few and you'll get the hang of it

Comment

Some of the new UVWUnwrap features were shown in one of AutoDesk's feature videos, here. If a video doesn't suit your fancy, you may want to read through the documentation on the modifier here.

While 3ds Max 2012 has a number of bugs or omitted features (ex: Reactor was removed with few good replacements), you'll have to decide whether they're show stoppers or not. The recent hotfix was supposed to address some concerns with the Skin modifier, but I'm not sure if fixed everything. The development team is also working hard to release a new service pack scheduled for mid-June that will address a number of concerns, but focuses primarily on CAT and the Nitrous viewport system.

Comment

Working...
            X