Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there no sharpen post-process effect in UDK ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still don't even know what a 'whole scene sharpen post processing effect' is supposed to achieve.

Comment

I still don't even know what a 'whole scene sharpen post processing effect' is supposed to achieve.
      Such a post-processing effect sharpens everything in the scene.

Comment

Define "Sharpen". Repeating the same word over and over isn't getting anywhere. What is rendered to the screen is generally already aliased unless you are doing some post-processing that is blurring the scene. You might want some kind of sharpening effect if you are applying a blur and need to mitigate those effects, but it is more than likely that the sharpening technique you adopt is going to be specific to not only the blurring you are adding, but the specific settings too.

Blur filters exist offline for things like improving the visual quality and mitigating the effects of exposure-time versus relative movement of objects in the scene and the camera in photography. Games do not have this problem (people have instead invested considerable time and resources trying to recreate effects like lens flares, motion blur and depth of field..)

Comment

Is there any game that uses this mysterious "Sharpen" post process?

Comment

I believe he means something like a photoshop sharpen filter.

Comment

I believe he means something like a photoshop sharpen filter.
              Yes,that is exactly what I mean.
              Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Commodore View Post
                Yes,that is exactly what I mean.
                Thank you for clearing that up for me.
                Sharpen is basically to deal with analog artifacting. There's not much of any (if there is any) reason at all to have such a thing. Stop making ridiculous demands of Epic, and start writing your own stuff if you need it.

Comment

In some game engines this post-processing effect is also called: Contrast Enhance or Unsharp Mask.

Comment

The link you were given earlier shows you exactly how to do it with materials.

Comment

Working...
                    X