Should i buy a UDK License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should i buy a UDK License

Ok guys, our project are getting more serious every day a new people are joining all the time.

I was wondering if it is worth purchasing a UDK license before the project is finished, I hear you get a lot of extra documentation and tutorial access.

What kind of materiel is available to licensees and is it really that good its worth buying the $99 Royalty license early

thanks a lot guys.

You get no benefit from buying the license before you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by GamerKnight View Post
      Ok guys, our project are getting more serious every day a new people are joining all the time.

I was wondering if it is worth purchasing a UDK license before the project is finished, I hear you get a lot of extra documentation and tutorial access.

What kind of materiel is available to licensees and is it really that good its worth buying the $99 Royalty license early

thanks a lot guys.
      For UDK:
      No, you don't get extra's, besides the right to commercially exploit your title.
      You can purchage a commercial License whenever you want, no need to rush yet.
      (when the title is ready to ship/publish, then purchage it, and all systems are go.)

For UE3 source license:
      Yes, you get alot more under your fingers, but it's very hefty on price.
      UDK will suffice for most titles (startups releasing their first title e.g.)
      As i understood (through email with epic), UE3 licensing is only interresting if you gained above 50.000 USD revenue, and have that revenue growing constantly obn a stable base.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for the advice, i was under the impression that you got access to more tutorials, documentation and possible some eat3d/3dbuzz vids.

I am sure i saw this info whilst reading through the UDN at various points. Also some pages on the UDN you can not access with out a username and password, have you encountered this?

Hello again ambershee, good to see your still around here.

Comment

Originally posted by GamerKnight View Post
          I am sure i saw this info whilst reading through the UDN at various points. Also some pages on the UDN you can not access with out a username and password, have you encountered this?
          Those sections of the UDN are available only to those who license Unreal Engine 3. Licensees of the UDK get nothing like that.

Comment

Also, most of the documentation that is locked would only be of interest to people who have the source code anyway, so you're not really missing out on much of anything. BTW, the discount for Eat3D tutorials page applies to anyone who goes to that page, not just licensees.

Comment

Thanks a lot

that really helped clear things up a lot more me.

Comment

Working...
              X