Good Poly count on vehicles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Poly count on vehicles?

I know poly's can vary depending on the type of detail put into a model and stuff and I was thinking of purchasing this one to get to work in UDK, since I don't have much skill in animation and rigging I figured this would be the best way to go until I saw the poly count, So any help is appreciated.

http://www.exchange3d.com/3D%20Model...prod_6800.html

i like to keep things under 100,000 if possible

Comment

227,676 polygons? And that is probably not triangulated so it could be double that for tris. Compare that to the Scorpion from UT3 which was 6758 tris. The model was clearly not made to be used in a game and contains a ton of geometry detail that is unnecessary and should be done with texturing and normal mapping.

There is no way to generalize what an acceptable poly count is for a vehicle. It depends on many factors. How many vehicles will be on-screen? How detailed are the environments? How many other characters will be on-screen? How detailed are they? What type of game is it? Are the vehicles fast-moving, making small details meaningless? What is the target hardware the game needs to run on? And so on...

Comment

Originally posted by Linkinworm View Post
        i like to keep things under 100,000 if possible
        I've found a better suited model for the job I think, but I'm still going to be stuck with the problem of not being so good in C++, so I guess I'll have to manage some how. I usually stick to level design and doing model work..never usually have to worry about complex animations and rigs, but I just want a tank to play in a level with...nothing serious..just a tank to shoot stuff up.

http://www.exchange3d.com/3D%20Model...prod_2761.html

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
          227,676 polygons? And that is probably not triangulated so it could be double that for tris. Compare that to the Scorpion from UT3 which was 6758 tris. The model was clearly not made to be used in a game and contains a ton of geometry detail that is unnecessary and should be done with texturing and normal mapping.

There is no way to generalize what an acceptable poly count is for a vehicle. It depends on many factors. How many vehicles will be on-screen? How detailed are the environments? How many other characters will be on-screen? How detailed are they? What type of game is it? Are the vehicles fast-moving, making small details meaningless? What is the target hardware the game needs to run on? And so on...
          When I was searching frantically for a model I was basically using the term "Animated-rigged Game ready tank models" just so happened that first selection popped up and I should have known better to be honest, that's kinda a fail question on my behalf to begin with.

Comment

yea models like this you wouldnt want to use pure mesh some stuff would be backed to save on poly count
            http://linkinworm.kicks-***.org/f_light.jpg
            as you can see from my own modeling the texture looks 3d but its not from a distance and even upclose in my game it looks 3d but is only about 15 polys instead of what would be 50 or so for the high poly model

Comment

if you need content to test with you can always try my stuff, link is found on my website in the UDK video tutorials section

Comment

Thanks a bunch for all the help it's very much appreciated. I've spent the majority of my time designing and building levels and recently I just got the annoyance of looking at the scorpion for to long and wanted to throw in a bit of change..so it's nothing that's going to be released or a project or anything like that, just mostly a learning experience for myself.

Comment

Working...
                X