• Show
Clear All

In the mood to do some tutorials.

So far have done:
    • fog
    • sound
    • terrain-material
    • etc

I want to do some coding tutorials, but need some specific tutorials to follow. I switched to the April build and dumped the march, so I can use that one for coding/level/whatever tutorials. Give me some ideas and links to text-based tutorials for me to turn into UDK Youtube tutorials.

Thank you for offering to contribute to the community.

1. Fighting game... punching, kicking, grabbing, for pawn and bot... ( I know you need mesh, animsets for this, is there a way it could be done in theory?) Maybe an adaptation of some of the Melee an zombie scripts floating around the forum? Also avoidance... the bot trying to get away from your pawn, you, chasing down your enemy?? opposite of what most games are today.

2. A once and for all definitive camera tutorial... mouse wheel zoom from first person to 3rd person, camera rotation, OTH, Platform, side scroller. (Probably could spend days with the camera alone)

3. Keybinding and console commands to control your animtree.

4. Setting up damage for pawn and bot.

5. Setting up an RPG style conversation system.

6. Setting up an RPG style inventory system.

7. How to set up multiple NPC's in game that have different mesh and character traits...

Of course the disclaimer is that this is just a list of things I'm interested in finding out about, but also have seen a never-ending stream of posts and text-based tutorials ( a lot of times with legacy code that doesn't apply to newer builds) over several of these items, it would be go to have a end all solution... just say'n...

So for the record these are not demands just subjects that came to my mind, I am in no way advocating that you or anyone else in the forum that reads my post believe that I want you to do all the work for me, these are just merely musings from a simple mind that sometimes need visual stimuli to get their head wrapped around all the different coding hoops that one would need to jump through with UDK.

Sometimes in life you just need someone to show you where the rocks are so you can cross the stream...

Thanks again Neurotiq for your generous offer.

Lic

Comment

Originally posted by Licarell View Post
      Thank you for offering to contribute to the community.

1. Fighting game... punching, kicking, grabbing, for pawn and bot... ( I know you need mesh, animsets for this, is there a way it could be done in theory?) Maybe an adaptation of some of the Melee an zombie scripts floating around the forum? Also avoidance... the bot trying to get away from your pawn, you, chasing down your enemy?? opposite of what most games are today.

2. A once and for all definitive camera tutorial... mouse wheel zoom from first person to 3rd person, camera rotation, OTH, Platform, side scroller. (Probably could spend days with the camera alone)

3. Keybinding and console commands to control your animtree.

6. Setting up an RPG style inventory system.

7. How to set up multiple NPC's in game that have different mesh and character traits...

Of course the disclaimer is that this is just a list of things I'm interested in finding out about, but also have seen a never-ending stream of posts and text-based tutorials ( a lot of times with legacy code that doesn't apply to newer builds) over several of these items, it would be go to have a end all solution... just say'n...

So for the record these are not demands just subjects that came to my mind, I am in no way advocating that you or anyone else in the forum that reads my post believe that I want you to do all the work for me, these are just merely musings from a simple mind that sometimes need visual stimuli to get their head wrapped around all the different coding hoops that one would need to jump through with UDK.

Sometimes in life you just need someone to show you where the rocks are so you can cross the stream...

Thanks again Neurotiq for your generous offer.

Lic
      Don't know how to do most of those, I will post info on that as it comes. What I had meant is that if there is a tutorial online that is just text I will make a YouTube video out of it to show the process. I will see what I can do however.

I will be doing a real tutorial on "True First Person" after I get that working, the guide isn't really a guide, more like a "do this" for people that already know uscript. They will spout off terms like go to the info for the game, when typing go to "gameinfo.ut" would have been much better. I will make a video to make these tutorials friendlier.

Comment

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you again,

Lic

Comment

Uh, what's wrong with it now? Seems to work out of the box?

I'm working on one, but the conversation in it is going to be one-sided(only the characters you are speaking to will talk, filling in for things your character "said") but it should be a first stepping stone for others.

I'm not into doing video tutorials though, if there's no text tutorials on it already I can put one up if you think there's an interest, since it's sort of a incomplete conversation system not sure how well suited it is to turn it into a video tutorial though, but neurotiq could do that if he wanted to.

Also kind of working on this, but there's not much to it really(the mesh part at least), character traits depends on what you mean by that, don't the UDK bots do this already? Pawns can be in different families and get different stats like accuracy and aggressiveness.

@Neurotiq:
          Perhaps you'd be interested to turn my basic melee combat system tutorial into a video format? With added friendliness if needed :P

See:
          http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=775621

Comment

I've just watched some mortal kombat 9 (2011) vids on youtube, so I'm also interested in melee kombat.

Also I'd love to seeing a grappling tut, where you could grab onto something and swing around, kinda like in the game Wild 9.

Comment

I would really like a tut on how to implement a melee weapon!

Basically the source from this page:

http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tut...m_Weapon/Melee

I dont even know if that code is still working, and if it isnt, how is the most common way to import a melee weapon on the april build woth a custom mesh from maya if possible!

Thanks!

Comment

If someone can make a good root motion tutorial gotta love it.

Comment

how to set the game to spawn bots
                  or
                  how to make a map ready to play in UDKGame
                  or
                  how to set up yourown custom HUD and MENU and set it to load levelss and a pause menu

Comment

http://UDKC.info would be happy to showcase any tutorials you may finish.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckSauce View Post
                      Uh, what's wrong with it now? Seems to work out of the box?

I'm working on one, but the conversation in it is going to be one-sided(only the characters you are speaking to will talk, filling in for things your character "said") but it should be a first stepping stone for others.

I'm not into doing video tutorials though, if there's no text tutorials on it already I can put one up if you think there's an interest, since it's sort of a incomplete conversation system not sure how well suited it is to turn it into a video tutorial though, but neurotiq could do that if he wanted to.

Also kind of working on this, but there's not much to it really(the mesh part at least), character traits depends on what you mean by that, don't the UDK bots do this already? Pawns can be in different families and get different stats like accuracy and aggressiveness.

@Neurotiq:
                      Perhaps you'd be interested to turn my basic melee combat system tutorial into a video format? With added friendliness if needed :P

See:
                      http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=775621
                      Very interested... could a wiki be started and people could add to it as the system becomes more sophisticated??

Lic

Comment

^^ If that happened, it could become like Batman AA freeflow fighting style

Comment

Very interested... could a wiki be started and people could add to it as the system becomes more sophisticated??

Lic
                          If you want to go ahead, I'm not really up to that anymore after the UDKC wiki turned me off :P

Comment

I thought to respond... Why don't they turn you on??

But I was afraid someone would run with it...

I've been lurking on this forum for some time... I see a lot of people posting tutorials for various things... then UDK code gets depreciated and the tuts get outdated sometimes as short as a month, very frustrating for a guy like me that needs these tuts to get a handle on UDK. Just when you find something that your interested in doing, reading a few threads later you find out that UDK has changed and the code in the tutorial no longer compiles.

Sometimes it's flat discouraging.

Soldiering on...

Lic

Comment

Yeah I imagine that being quite discouraging, I don't mind if anyone takes my tutorial and improves on it, or fixes it and then publishes it. Just giving credits where it's due would be nice, but I ain't stopping anyone from doing it.

Speaking of that tut, the code does have a bug in it, will be updating with a fix soon probably... currently working on the conversation feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X