Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question - Online Server Implementation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - Online Server Implementation?

Hello everyone, I'm a student leading a production team at my school working to develop a fast-paced online FPS inside of UDK. So far all of the playtests we've been running have been through LAN with the computers within our classroom, which has been going pretty well .

Now of course we're trying to do at-home internal playtests within our team and we're finding ourselves running into trouble hosting an online match for our game (the option isn't even available, it's greyed out). I could have sworn previous versions of UDK had the ability to launch an online server, but I might be thinking straight UT3.

Regardless, this is my issue: I need to know how to host or set up an online version of my game - not just for internal playtests, but for the whole thing to even be worth it as an online FPS. If anyone knows anything about setting up an online multi-player server inside UDK, I would greatly appreciate any help you can send my way.

Thanks, and looking forward to your replies!

You're thinking UT3; UDK doesn't have a server browser built into it; not to mention you'd need to setup some kind of master server for everyone to connect to and send/retrieve game server data to anyway.

Comment

Well UDK have a server browser? :P

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm co-leading with my friend crawler.
        I know past versions of UDK have had an option for online functionality before.
        what we are asking is if there is any possibility of us being able to Host a server of our custom game. We have the option of creating a server to connect to its just getting to that point that we are having trouble with.

Thanks again, and I also am looking forward to your replies

Comment

You can launch the server directly by using UDKLift server?options.

There is no master server for UDK because all it is an application somewhere on the internet which is just a list of all IP's that are currently hosting an Unreal game.

Comment

UDK is setup by default to use Steamworks as the server list. You'll need to make sure that your server has the game port (7777) and the Steam ports (you might have to google that, I'm not at my computer to have a look at my firewall) open, and everyone is running the Steam client.

Otherwise, iff you don't want to use Steam, you can just do "open [ip]" from the clients.

Comment

Thanks for all the posts guys!

Still haven't completely figured it out. but thanks for the posts

Comment

maybe this qeustion will get more replys in the programming forum?
                but
                goodluck with the issuse

Comment

If you have port 27015 and 27016 open to the machine that is running a server, and you have Steam running on that computer, when you launch a server fromt he default UDK Host menu, it will show up in a list brought up from another udk client that has steam running.

Comment

Working...
                  X