Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a soundtrack

can i use mp3 files for a soundtrack ?

I "THINK" you have to use Ogg vorbis files. Maybe you can use wav too. If you can use wav, then you can benefit from absolutely lossless audio quality, if your an audiophile like me LOL!

Comment

I use WinFF to convert stuff to ".wav for cd" and I could import it fine into the gears of war editor.

Comment

OGG i believe was for for unreal engine 2, UE3 only uses .wav, unless i didnt notice that they support ogg too.

Comment

But .wav would mean that you have to stick with 3-8 times of the file size compared to .ogg, although there might not even be any difference to hear.

Comment

On a side note, I think it's not free to use MP3 decoders in commercial applications.

Comment

That obviously depends on the program. Audacity for instance is fully free.

Comment

That doesn't mean Audacity developers didn't pay a license, but you're right, it depends.

Comment

Pay to whom?

Comment

Them ?

Comment

You can use .wav format. The Editor seems to automatically compress them to 128kb/s once you make a .cue file out of it.

Comment

UE3 is still using OGG for it's compression. This is "proven" because of the existence of the ogg_64.dll and ogg.dll libraries found in the Binaries folder.

It also depends on the platform however. For example, the iOS platform allows MP3 playback for music because I believe Apple deals with the licensing issue. The PlayStation 3 platform has its own audio compression method.

Lastly, Ogg Vorbis usually has better compression + better sound quality so there is little reason to use MP3 compared to it for the PC. Ogg Vorbis however I believe is more costly on the CPU to decompress than MP3.

And yes, if you were to make a game and include an MP3 algorithm, it does actually cost you to license the technology as I believe it is also under patent.

Comment

Working...
                        X