Custom game installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Makumba666 View Post
    Why this should matter at all? It depends. Why some developer pays several hundred dollars only not to display some third party logo? Other developer may prefer pay less and go with logo. I repeat, it all depends.
    Besides the custom icon, folders and executable file, those hundreds of dollars also pay for access to the entire Unreal Engine source code, access to the licensees-only part of UDN, and the ability to port your games to Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 (if you happen to be an authorized developer, of course)...

And as many others here, I never launch the game from the installation folder, I look for the icon inside the start menu, so in my case gamers will be looking for "Nemirc's greatest paranormal adventure" in their start menu, and not "udk.exe" inside I don't know what part of their hard drive...

Just my two cents :-/

Now, the only important thing is how to include the dll files inside the usercode folder. Anyone? Does editing the Manifest file actually work?

Comment

1. You CAN NOT rename udk.exe (it gives error about being unable to find executable and closes).
      2. Files unsetupXXX can be manually deleted. This does not affect the game.
      3. If game runs in windowed mode, the window title is "Unreal Development Kit". Didn't find a way to change this.
      4. I didn't find any ways to change the icon of UDK.exe.
      5. All assets are placed in UDKGame folder - didn't find any way to rename this folder.
      1. I'd like to know this too. I would of thought Unreal Frontend would have some sort of capability to do it.

2. -

3. This can be changed. The UDKGame config file will have GameName=...
      I'm pretty sure that's how to change it (I did it a while, and now the Unreal Development Kit wording is gone; so I can't remember what's what - it may be a different config file, but it's definitely possible).

4. If you replace GameIcon.ico in UDK-xxxx-xx > Binaries > InstallData; with the icon you want. Your game will have that icon instead of the default. The same goes for the Uninstall.ico.

5. As with 4, I haven't tested it myself; but I believe it's not a case of renaming the folder only. Look at the config files. Most of the time, you'll see the UDKGame folder being referred to. You could probably use a different folder name; but it'll mean you need to go through each config file and replace UDKGame with the new folder's name.

---

I see a lot of people mentioning shortcuts; but when I install a packaged game; it adds a shortcut in the start menu, but not on the desktop. Is it possible to get one on the desktop automatically?

-MoK

Comment

This doesn't really bother me, but I was looking through UDKEngine.ini and I thought of this thread when I saw:

Code:
        line 9: EXEName=UDK.exe

Comment

Originally posted by fauldsh View Post
          This doesn't really bother me, but I was looking through UDKEngine.ini and I thought of this thread when I saw:

Code:
          line 9: EXEName=UDK.exe
          I'd already found that, and changed it to what I wanted; but it still created UDK.exe.

-MoK

Comment

Working...
          X