Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom game installer

Hi all,
    I wander, if it is possible (and legal) to create custom installer for games made with UDK? Basic installer, created by UDK by default is unacceptable for many reasons: splash screen, UDK license agreement (why end user should see this at all?), abominable interface etc.
    So, are we bound to this default installer, or could use another one? Is there any comprehensive tutorial?
    And one more question: How about udk.exe? Could it be renamed or changed it's icon? And what about unsetup.exe and other unsetupXXX garbage, could they be removed? And why installer tries to add exception to windows firewall?
    I must admit, that now it seems, I started from wrong end - first of all when deciding use UDK or not, I should reviewed packaging options.
    Thanks in advance.

One of the Epic people said some time ago, that if you have a UDK license, you are allowed to use any installer you'd like, otherwise you have to use the UDK installer. So, given that that should be the case, yes, you can make whatever kind of installer you want.

Pretty sure the game won't run if you rename udk.exe or attempt to remove unsetup. It would've taken you less time to try it, than it did to ask, though

Whenever UDK is run, it submits a hardware survey to Epic.

Comment

I think you can rename UDK.exe and it'll still work, but I don't know how you could package the renamed file

Comment

Oh, as far as using another installer, use the UDK packager to package your installation, then install it. Then package it using your own installer. (maybe before that last step you could rename the exe's)

Comment

Thanks for answers. I've made several experiments. Here's results:
          1. You CAN NOT rename udk.exe (it gives error about being unable to find executable and closes).
          2. Files unsetupXXX can be manually deleted. This does not affect the game.
          3. If game runs in windowed mode, the window title is "Unreal Development Kit". Didn't find a way to change this.
          4. I didn't find any ways to change the icon of UDK.exe.
          5. All assets are placed in UDKGame folder - didn't find any way to rename this folder.

I thought, that the only limitation creating games with UDK (besides royalty) was to be forced display Unreal movie at the beginning, but this is quite different matter. Not being able to rename main executable, change it's icon, or even change title of game window is unacceptable, IMHO.
          Overall, it seems to me that UDK is a mod maker and not suitable for professional game development even for indies. May be they will allow more customizations in future releases.
          Untill then...

P.S. Thanks again, for answers.

Comment

Not being able to rename main executable, change it's icon, or even change title of game window is unacceptable, IMHO.
            Just create shortcuts? Surely it can't be that bad.

Comment

There are (dozens? hundreds? of) programs to change the icon of an executeable.

If you rename Binaries\UDK.(com/exe), you'd also need to rename Binaries\Win32\UDK.(com/exe) for it to work, if it does.

I can't figure out for the life of me, why those would be unacceptable things, considering otherwise, you're getting the ability to use a game engine that people have been using for massive AAA titles, at costs of 6 and 7 digits, for $99 + royalties.

This vaguely reminds me of all the people back in the beginning of UDK who were complaining that the data was in a folder called "UTGame". What does it matter what the name of your data folder is? (now it's called "UDKGame")

Comment

The need for individuality maybe... doesnt matter to me either.

Comment

I mean, i -do- see the point, but personally I don't think that would be a huge detriment to me using it as a tool to create what I wanted to create. To me, it's not that big of a deal, and all the nice things definitely outweigh not being able to change the window title (who runs their games in windowed mode anyway, outside of developers?)

Comment

I have found an easy way around all of these things with Innosetup and InstallShield.

Comment

Yes, I understand that UDK uses very advanced technology. I am aware about SpeedTree, Scaleform Gfx, FaceFX - all that good stuff, but are we speaking about professional game development, right? Why I need all next gen things, if I have not even a basic control over compilation process? I am not speaking about profiling and such "high" matters - UDK developers didn't even bother to allow change the icon of application, or rename main executable according to the game title. Other, even most basic RAD tools give much more customization options. Some of them even have profilers. And what we have here? - you need crack you own game to change it's icon - what a delight!
                      What about "UDKGame" folder, why folder name is important at all? Again, are we speaking about professional game development, not some homebrew projects to amaze friends ok? If so, you must understand that according to license agreement the only point where Unreal ad must be displayed is the movie at the start of application - there is NO OBLIGATION to otherwise promote Epic, Unreal or UDK - so what the hell my content is doing in UDKGame folder? That is my content - not UDK's and above mentioned folder must be named according game name, or at least in some neutral way "content" or such (if it is too hard for UDK developers to create custom folders at build time). Why this should matter at all? It depends. Why some developer pays several hundred dollars only not to display some third party logo? Other developer may prefer pay less and go with logo. I repeat, it all depends.
                      Displaying Unreal movie at startup (along with paying 25% royalty) is a maximum for me. Having "Unreal", "UDK", "Epic" and such entities either in folder names, window titles etc. is beyond that margin; and beyond license agreement too.
                      May be it is hard to understand my position, but as I've said above - it all depends and there may be other persons feeling the same way.

Comment

I'd like to know more about this as well, as some of you know, I have been pursuing customizing the installer. Not so much because I desperately want to abandon every reference to Epic and UDK, but because I need to customize the files included with the installer.

If installing a game using the UDK installer, then making a custom installer from that game truly works, I suppose that would be a solution. Can people confirm it works? Has someone done it before?

Edit: Messed up the wording horribly.

Comment

dont forget to add all the pre reqs into ur installer, and have it check to see if there installed...

it works, and can easily be done

Comment

I'm at a state where I've noticed that gamers honestly don't care what folders or executables are called. They just want to play the game.

Comment

I'd guess that for the most part, users just want to have a shortcut that they can click that has the game name in it, so they can identify it.

Not that i'm saying it wouldn't be nice to have the ability to do this sort of stuff, but I really don't think that it should kill unreal as an engine option.

Comment

Working...
                              X