Colleges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colleges?

I am graduating soon and I was wondering what colleges other people have gone to for game art and design.

It depends--what specifically do you want to do? Most places that teach "Game Design" are terrible. Working in video games has many different areas to work in. If you want to do the modeling and creation of assets, you can go to schools with courses for 3D. There are some schools that also offer courses in working your skills with game engines like UDK--however, again many of these places are terrible and there's only a few places that are really good.

Comment

I'm looking for places that offer to work on skills in game engines and also the 3d modeling. I have found some places that seem to know what they are doing. I am asking where other people, in this forum site, have gone to and what opinions they have about the schools so I can have a better understanding of which arn't a good choice to go to and which would be the good options.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
        Most places that teach "Game Design" are terrible.
        This. It's really not worth your time and effort; over a period of three years you can teach yourself plenty in your spare time, and actually get a meaningful qualification at the same time. There are also a fair few employers who won't take a game design degree seriously.

Comment

Getting a degree in computer science or engineering is far more helpful imo

Comment

I got MA degree in Computer Sciences, Artificial Intelligence.
            Out of 5 years it took, at least three and half was wasted time (and money). So from experience/cost point, it's not really worth it.
            But it helps with self-esteem, of course, might look cool on a CV and I met my best friends (and had fun) there.

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
            Getting a degree in computer science or engineering is far more helpful imo
            This is still true, because then you can switch from game development to more "serious" work if the times get really hard (or you become disillusioned with this industry, which happens to many).

Anyway, with college or without it, the most important step is to get actual experience within a team where you can learn from someone. It's much more efficient learning-wise than a team where all have equally little experience, as is the case with most college projects.

Comment

If you want to get into scripting/programming side, I still think a proper programming courses will lay down a good foundation for you.

If you want to get into the art side, similar thing, find cheap community/city college and do fine arts for a year or two. Then move on to 3D applications.

I went to Academy of Art University in San Francisco. I must say, it's a mixture of good and bad. Most classes are interesting and taught by real professional. But not all professional are good teachers, you know what I mean

I took an unrealEd class there taught by former Blizzard level designer and the class was a blast... It was a long time ago, long before UDK and unreal engine 3 ^-^

Comment

i'm hopefully going to wolverhampton university(UK) last year a team on the games design course actualy won a bafta for the game they made. granted that the games courses offeren interlink not just games design alone

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=19409 note peter molyneux on the left

Comment

thanks for all the comments! these are all great opinions and I agree with alot of what you all are saying. my main reason for wanting to go to college is because I can learn by people who know what they are doing and I think it could help me get some experience and the programs and tools I need to get into the buissness if that makes sense.

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the issues. Usually the people that are skilled are still working in the industry. Luckily though--there are many that make tutorial DVD's

There are a few schools that do have good teachers, but usually those are pretty expensive.

Comment

I attend Full Sail University - Online. Didn't feel like moving back to Florida. But from my experiences with the school that they do know what they are doing, but its not cheap. Especially for something like Game Design. Who wants to play 54k to learn out to use Visio?

Now don't me wrong, but you learn other things such as storytelling and what not but you could pick that up at any community college and save a lot. Initially I went for game design, but having a prior background in digital art, I transitioned into game art. Which more or less you get what you pay for.

From the teachers to the equipment they haven't skimped out at all. They sent me a nice new macbook pro, 3ds Max, Maya, Adobe Master Collection, Zbrush... I could go on, but anyway this is the stuff you learn on for my program at least.

But anyway I wouldn't go to a college that specialized in Game Design.. its not worth it unless it is cheap(super cheap). But instead I would go to a community college or something similar for writing(or similar), and pick up some helpful electives like some art classes, and then get on a mod team. That is the best experience you can get for game design IMO.

http://online.fullsail.edu/degrees/game-art-bachelors

http://online.fullsail.edu/degrees/game-design-bachelors

Comment

To put things in perspective:

You fork out $54,000 for a university course to do game design / art at the usual age (18).

You graduate at regular pace (three years) and subsequently get immediately employed right away, and keep a full time job until the day you retire (60).

If you saved an average of $1000 a year, you will never pay back the money you spent on your degree course by the time you graduate - in fact you will still be $15,000 out of pocket.

Comment

Full Sail is garbage IMO. You could do better going to a non profit art school such as SCAD,Ringling,AAU(for profit),etc. But avoid Full Sale

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
                            Full Sail is garbage IMO. You could do better going to a non profit art school such as SCAD,Ringling,AAU(for profit),etc. But avoid Full Sale
                            But that all depends on your location honestly, for me I got to choose from a community college, that offers small pretty much entry level courses for Digital art/Modeling which is a year or two. After that I could choose between University of Michigan or Michigan State (which are just as expensive). Of course there are advanced art schools like College of Creative studies and IADT which are for profit.. like most anymore.

But Full Sail isn't that bad if you can keep up with it. But anyway it is whatever meets your needs, schedule, and your budget.

Comment

Wow... I didnt think this many people would have posted on this lol... thanks for all of the input its been really helpful and I do agree about full sail when they said to expensive... currently I am applying for a cheeper college in texas that seems to know what they are doing and they accually have a intership program that allows you to get experience and everything.
                              again thanks for all of the input and replies

Comment

Working...
                              X