Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions on 2D 'sprite' based game design

Hi everyone,

Since I've been learning to use the UDK, I've become so focused on 3D techniques and ideas, that when I thought about making a 2D game I drew a blank.

I know plenty about making 2D textures and what not, but I'm actually looking to make something like the old SNES 16-bit final fantasies, A 3/4 view style RPG made of sprites, completely 2D. If you don;t get my drift, here some examples of what I mean;

My questions are;

1. I understand the idea of creating a character as a sprite sheet, but how would I animate said character in the UDK. I assume a 16-bit pixel art type of look would require me to apply textures/materials to a plane with some transparency, but I'm lost on how to animate it.

2. Is it possible to make something tile-based using the sprite sheets i mentioned. think 'legend of zeda: a link to the past', or a more pronounced tile system a la Civ?

3. Does anyone know any good pixel/sprite sheet or character/art tutorials? What are the chances!!

Anyways, sorry for the noob questions, but the only 2D game tech I've ever used (hardly) was Torque 2D. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I'd say that if you want to build a 2d game, using UDK (an advanced 3d engine) is really not the way to go.

If you must do it, then yeah, textured planes are the way forwards. I'd anticipate you may have to handle the sprite animations manually, but you could also play with particle systems using SubUVs.

Comment

Ah, Particle systems didn't even cross my mind!

Also, I should have mentioned I intend for most of the game to be in 2D. The UDK would be useful for things like battles and such where I'll probably use some 3D elements! I should have elaborated more, my bad!

Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

Working...
      X