No announcement yet.

Hair farm integration with UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did check that demo my friend, that's why I'm so desperately trying to work this out!

Comment

We'll have to wait for new tutorials/features from Epic I guess. In the meantime I'm adding a few hundred hairplanes

Comment

http://developer.download.nvidia.com...WhitePaper.pdf -> Yes, it is indeed a particle system, I'll see if using thin cilinders with different colorations on a skullcap can do the trick.

Comment

I think nVidia's code really has to be integrated into the engine to be fast enough. Going from a 116 strand reference model to 18.000 through tessellation can probably not be done otherwise.

Still, looking at the framerates, 10 characters with such hair will take a lot more GPU power than is available today to keep the framerate up. But like Epic Games stated with their Samaritan demo, today you can design with the technology that will be fast enough by the time you publish your game.

Comment

Yeah, but besides of it, you don't need to add that kind of hair to everybody. Just two or three main characters, the other ones can have a lower quality hair, if you're up to today's standards.

I'm trying to add the shader to the engine. I downloaded the DirectX 11 SDK, so it's time to get more coffee

Comment

Well I think I can clarify how they made the hair in their techdemo.

They made the hair inside of 3ds max with hairfarm, after playing with all of the great options of hairfarm they convert the hairmesh to poly, which means that every hair that hairfarm virtually simulates gets into a thin polygon, like a very thin strip. In the engine then they turn always in the direction the player looks at them.
              So its like the old method but instead of making hairstrain-planes they make every hair a thin plane.
              In the end you have thousand of thousand of polygons just only for the hair (not to mention what you would need for log hair )... the animation would be the classical way to, rigg it to a bone system and make some pseudo cloth animation.

Comment

I tried that way hellslayer in the very beginning, the problem with that method is getting the UVs and and render the texture.

Comment

I dont really tested it but.. did you try to convert the hair to splines and then set a extrude modifier on top on it and set uv creation?

Comment

So, any news about this? There is still not much on the subject out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X