Hair farm integration with UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair farm integration with UDK?

Well, Now that April release is here, I'm very interested in how did you guys at Epic rendered to texture with hair farm? I've been kicking myself in the nuts trying to do so, with no results.

Or did you just converted to poly the whole hairmesh using hairto poly? I've read the GDC 2011 .pdf and you mention you used splines (so it seems) if so, what settings did you use for texturing and rendering the splines into the engine?

I'm really quite insomniac and I'll appreciate some input

Check the UDN documentation, there is a full hair tutorial

http://udn.epicgames.com/search/?q=Hair

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Check the UDN documentation, there is a full hair tutorial

http://udn.epicgames.com/search/?q=Hair
      If you read carefully what I wrote, you'll realize I'm not asking how to make hair using alpha. Please check what the GDC .pdf mentions about the MSAA Hair, since I'm refering to that and for what you can read there is FAR from different.

Thxs for trying tho'

Comment

On GDC Vault there's a video from the presentation under free section. There they talk a bit more on hair using that pdf. Not sure if it's enough for the thing you need though.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014666...hnology-Behind

Comment

no , UDK not support hair farm , but you can use hair farm to do alpha hair , and only MSAA Hair

Comment

Originally posted by fdslk View Post
            Well, Now that April release is here, I'm very interested in how did you guys at Epic rendered to texture with hair farm? I've been kicking myself in the nuts trying to do so, with no results.

Or did you just converted to poly the whole hairmesh using hairto poly? I've read the GDC 2011 .pdf and you mention you used splines (so it seems) if so, what settings did you use for texturing and rendering the splines into the engine?

They used Hair Farm to generate the hairs (5000) and then each "hair" was something like a plane with a texture of additional hairs on it. Also--the hairs are setup to always face the camera. Besides that, the issues were with sorting and anti-aliasing, which is what they found a solution for with DX11

Comment

Besides this, I think the process is completely the same as in the tutorial, only with MSAA and alot more hairplanes.

Comment

It's different because it's using a vertex shader to make the hairs always facing the camera as well

Comment

pm a mod they will tell you. because it wasn't documented well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
                    pm a mod they will tell you. because it wasn't documented well.
                    Yeah, I think I'll do that, because when you check the wireframe of the Samaritan, in the video you can actually see that the hair aren't planes at all (or if they are, they used very very very small and thin planes) that's why I'm curious

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll do that, because when you check the wireframe of the Samaritan, in the video you can actually see that the hair aren't planes at all (or if they are, they used very very very small and thin planes) that's why I'm curious
                      yea I never used hair farm so they would have some documentation on that which is very vague

Comment

fdslk, did you find out more about the workflow in the meantime?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          fdslk, did you find out more about the workflow in the meantime?
                          Nope, I ended using the alpha mapping technique, but with very small faces.

Yet I tried to convert the hairfarm to poly as it is said you can, and render it to texture with some alpha, but the results are kind of lame. Specially the UVs, I tried to convert it to splines with different colorations, but in the end the result lacks of colour variation and seems very wierd.

Right now, I'm trying to mix some rendered to texture faces, in a phyxs particle system attached to a bone head.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I was absolutely wrong in my previous statemnt. So too bad to hear you haven't found new insights either.

But nevertheless, I'm wondering if Epic's new hair workflow can be used for other types of hair and not only the 'hard brush'-like hair that the Samaritan character has.

Already a long time ago I watched videos of nVidia's hair which is really stunning (at the bottom left http://www.nvidia.com/object/GTX_400_games_demos.html).

It's based on directx11 tessellation, so I guess it's not that far away. From an artist's perspective I can't wait to use such technology....

Comment

By the way, on this page http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-g...dk-11-direct3d you can download that hair demo yourself (just run the hair.exe demo in the bin directory).

Comment

Working...
                              X