Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about polys.

Hey UDK!

So.. How much polys can a good computer load today as max?
    Is it possible to have character models on 500k+ polys?
    Weapons able to have around 150k polys?
    Me and my team wanna max pretty much and im not so updated on how much polys you can see at the same time with a good computer without feel low fps.

Would love to get all info about polys so I get abit updated on how much a next-gen game can have!

Thanks for reading, and thanks Epic Games for a EPIC engine

The actual art is to make things look as good as possible while using as few polys as possible. If we could use several hundred thousands of polygons per mesh, then there would be no need for Normal Maps, Bump Maps and Tesselation.

I'd say you should not have more than 50-60k on a character model. And only if it's a very important major character in the game.

Comment

I think its more a question of how many polys and objects you'll have onscreen at once than individual counts. Individual counts will be a percentage of the total polys you have on screen depending on the importance of said item.

Comment

Thanks for answers

I searched abit on the net and found some info about other games, GT5 have over 200k each car.. pretty much. Well some details is not able to do with Normal Maps and the other. So you just should try to make so much details as possible with those Maps and then do rest with polys, if i get you right

But i still need to know how much polys a good computer can see at max
        With good computer i mean i5 core, 4 gb ddr3 and a updated grafic card. or sometihng like that

Comment

yes GT5 have their own engine optimize for that...they can control LODs...
          be a fundamental of game is to budget the polys...
          i5 is normal spec its not good....u can try i7990x with 12gb ddr3 and SLI gtx590 haha
          my 2cent

Comment

Well.. thats more ultimate lol ^^
            And all gamers dont really got that IMBA computers

So how much can a normal computer run? ^^

Comment

You cant just pile everything in how many a good computer can see at once unfortunatly. 200k per car might be right but its doubtful youd see every car at 200k all the time, thats where lodding comes in which can have a huge load on CPU depending.

Comment

^ LoD levels play a very important part of that, so you won't always see every polygon rendered on screen like has been said. For example, some of the Forza car meshes had as much as a million polygons, but it was very rare that it'd all be rendered at once.

Comment

Okey guys, thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                  X