Working on a Contra styled 2d Side scroller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on a Contra styled 2d Side scroller

Thing I would like to know is, can i make it truly 2D? I was playing Hard Corps: Uprising and that's where I got the idea. I want some cool looking backgrounds, but with the enemies and main characters HD 2d sprites.

I know this must have been asked a dozen times, but i can't find anything solid on how to make something like this work.

Would anyone like to tell me how to do something like this? Cause I really would like to have it 2D characters and enemies with really pretty looking backgrounds and crazy enemy Bosses and such.

any help will be appreciated.

UE3 is a 3d engine. You can simulate 2d perfectly with the camera, but all assets will be created as 3d objects, not 2d sprites.

Comment

Originally posted by Balive View Post
      UE3 is a 3d engine. You can simulate 2d perfectly with the camera, but all assets will be created as 3d objects, not 2d sprites.
      So everything would be 3D then? hmmm...What if I made the maps in the UDK then transferred them to an engine that supports 2d characters?

Comment

You won't be able to transfer a UDK map to another engine.

Comment

you can , you need create a plane mesh to simulate the 2d .

Comment

Originally posted by stevenchau432 View Post
            ah ok, Now I gotta figure out how to do that haha

Comment

Originally posted by stevenchau432 View Post
              Still have to use 3d models.

Comment

Originally posted by Balive View Post
                Still have to use 3d models.
                Even in pure Direct3D you do it that way ( someone use DDraw ? )

Comment

doing 2d platform game u doesn't need UDK. make your life harder. you can try other 2d game engine like gamesalad which have some 2d psychic features.

Comment

Originally posted by horoxhoro View Post
                    doing 2d platform game u doesn't need UDK. make your life harder. you can try other 2d game engine like gamesalad which have some 2d psychic features.
                    or angrybird 's 2d physics engine.

Comment

If you want to make a "pure" sprite-based 2D game, stick to 2D engines.
                      "Right tool for the right job" rule still applies, and you'll save a lot of effort and time that way.

But if you really insist in doing it the wrong way I think that two ways would be using plane meshes with changing textures (animated materials or something). Or going with Scaleform/HUD stuff (if I understand correctly it's basically flash).

Comment

Working...
                      X