Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to UDK and the forums? Here's a few tips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to UDK and the forums? Here's a few tips.

There are several threads that keep reappearing nearly every day on this forum. In hope of keeping a few of them from being neccessary, here's a few tips.

Use tutorials and documentations.
    There's a lot of great tutorials out there on how to get started.
    You can also search for more. Often people will have links to tutorials in their signatures.
    Some may be out of date, but that doesn't mean it can just be ignored. Most of the time, it's just some tiny bits that need to be replaced. Often the tutorials will be updated with notes on what you need to replace it with.

Here are some links.
    http://www.hourences.com/tutorials/
    http://udk.com/documentation
    Many sites that includes tutorials, includes links to more tutorials. Look before you act.

I personally started with these: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=710137
    They are especially useful if you are starting completely from scracth and need to familiarize yourself with the toolset.
    Some of it is slightly out of date by now, but it's mostly small things that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Even though tutorials may be too general to give you exactly what you need, or even too specific to give you the variation you need, that does mean they won't help you. When you know how things work, you'll be able to start working out your own solutions instead of relying of others. Just keep following tutorials until you get an understanding of how things works, rather than expecting there to be a tutorial on every single possible feature and variant of that feature.

Can I make this game?
    Yes, with realistic expectations of course. Don't expect to make a AAA game rivaling multimillionare companies on your own.
    UDK allows you to make anything.
    Unreal is a game ENGINE, not a modders tool with limited use. The Unreal Tournament setup the tools ship with are just defaults. You can change it into whatever you want, provided you are willing to spend the time necessary.

If you are just starting out, I would suggest beginning simple, something arcadeish like a top-down, or a replacement of the hud, menus, character and weapons.
    You can always expand later.

If you truly want to create a full blown, standard game right away, be prepared for a lot of two steps forward and one step back.
    As you learn, you will keep encountering problems that will take time to work around.
    Plenty of people shout "I will make this game!", but maybe 2-5% on average ever finishes or ever even start properly. Just don't expect it to be quick and painless.
    Depending on how well your understanding of all the production aspects are when you begin, a lot of the solutions and work you do early on may become sub-par as you go.
    Often you will end up even having to replace them to accomodate work you do in the future.

With that being said, It does not mean it's not a great way to learn. If you are like me and enjoy working with games, you'll learn a lot without even realizing it.
    Just keep in mind that it will take time. Maybe even a year or more depending on how much you want and how effective you are.

How does Epic do it?
    With UDK, Epic ships a lot of assets and scripts. If you want to do something similar to existing features and content, looking at epic's work and their properties and using what you see there may be all you need.

If you are unable to work some of them out, saving it for later may not be as bad as it sounds. Just don't fool yourself by using it as an excuse to procrastinate.
    Work on other things in UDK, preferably something similar for a while, then when you come back hopefully your improved understanding should be enough. If not rinse and repeat, or you could start asking on the forums.
    But please keep in mind the guidelines below.

The DirectX 11 option is missing!
    Only very new graphics cards support directX 11, you are able to install the drivers with older cards, but it will still not support it.
    Having the software and having the hardware is two different things.

Google is your friend.
    Before you start asking your inevitable questions or asking for help with your inevitable problems. Search. Most of the time, it's likely someone else has had the same problem or question. A quick google search, or a search on these very forums may lead to the answer.

Obviously you can search for anything. Including more tutorials.

Do not ask "How do I make this game".
    This is a question that is very unlikely to be possible to answer. Stating what type of game you want or a game "like this game" is also far from possible to answer, just because two games are similar, does not mean that they are straight forward to make or even made remotely the same way. Instead, you must look at how every single part of your game is supposed to work. Then work them in bit by bit.

How is your camera angle going to be? How are you going to to camera control? Combat? Melee? Ranged? Exactly what weapons? Can the player interact with the world? How? How does each interaction differ from eachother? How will the menu be setup? Will there be menus in-game? What do they do? Will there be opposition? What do they do? Are they visible to the player? What will the player character be? How is it controlled? How about tracking certain types of statistics? What statistics? Do they have any other functions other than being tracked, like currencies? Is there going to be an economy? Companions/followers? Shops? I can keep making these up forever, only you know what you need.

These are only a tiny sample of questions you need to be able to plan out ahead. Keep thinking of how everything both that the player can do/see and is working behind the scenes is going to be. Imagine you are explaining everything you want a team of workers to create, exactly as you envision it, every single detail.
    Now that you know exactly what you need, you know exactly what to look for. And work them in one at the time, don't try to do it all at once.

Be nice.
    Yelling, swearing and demanding is very unlikely to get you the help you need.
    Even though answers may not be exactly what you need right away, please realize people are still trying to help.
    More often than not, a process of elimination is needed in order to figure what the problem is, in this case it is bound to not happen right away.

All members are here to get help and help others, as well as talking and speading news about UDK. Even the moderators who are answering questions once in a while are doing so simply to help, even though their "job" is just to keep things orderly. Everyone is here out of their free will, and is handing you their knowledge out of generosity.
    Please keep this in mind, they do not owe their time to you. Be grateful for not being all on your own, what we have here is a precious opportunity to learn and share.
    Everyone here has every right in the world to choose not to help you, you don't want to give them a reason to do that do you?

Be informative.
    You can often keep things a lot quicker and easier by giving as much information as you can.
    "It does not work" is guaranteed to not be enough information.
    What doesn't work? Does it crash? Is it not as expected? Are you unable to go through the whole process? Are some options not available? Is there simply no results?
    Tell us exactly what you have done, and exactly what the problem is.

If it's a performance related issue, like crashes, staggering, graphical glitches and the like. Try updating your drivers and directX. If it still doesn't work, give us your system information when you ask for help. You can get it all by using DXDiag. It is acessed by writing dxdiag into the dialog box that appears in the start menu, and using the program that appears.

Be effective.
    Every single post and thread has a place it belongs to. Read what every category on the forums is for before you post.
    Write an accurate title, "help!" is very general, people who do or do not know the answer may or may not enter the thread alike. Make it so that people that believe they can contribute understand what your thread is about.
    Duplicating threads simply mean you have 1 correct thread, and several in places where people are looking for other topics, likely is there to help people in other topics, or is not interested in your topic, those will not likely yield the answers you seek and instead become clutter.
    If someone is going to help you, spamming your own thread with bumps after 10 minutes isn't going to do that. They will skim over the first page, and maybe few more. Whether it's on the top of the page or closer to the bottom doesn't mean you're not going to get help. As long as your thread is relatively visible, be patient.

Benefit of the doubt.
    Some posts can easily be seen as aggressive, un-informative or negative, but keep in mind that your own mood often dictates how the post is read. Often a person could mean to help, yet it can be comprehended as an insult. Replying back in an equal negative manner will then just ensure problems rather than solutions.

Nice post Graylord,

Also if your new or looking for help, you could check out the UDKC and maybe the chat room on there, http://UDKC.info , there are lots of good tuts on there, as well as an irc room where there ppl that can help you if you cant find what your looking for.

Comment

Alright, I'll keep coming back and try to update and improve on the OP from time to time.

Comment

Game Design is Hard

Now in saying this I dont want you to think oh he's trying to make us quit before we have already started, Im making you aware that if youre to start and see a game design through start to finish its a long arduous journey full of peril.

You need to be prepared for this and prepared to tackle morale issues with yourself or amongst your team members (especially over long distances). You need procedures for workflow and production pipelines to be well established. You need to make sure people are actually going to like and play your game.

While making what you want to play is great and its admirable you want to go against the grain even if only the most hardcore play it but for me part of a good game design is accessibility. Even if its simple like snap it doesnt mean your game is not good, everyone knows the rules and sometimes that recognition is worth more then money can buy so keep that in the back of your mind.

It might sound like alot now but a good plan can help you with alot of this and while some people say design documents arnt worth the paper they are printed on I find they are more helpful in planning and logistics then the design itself. Since as the designer you have a clear vision in your head and can articulate things on the fly its more adaptable than any paper design doc.

Thanks

Comment

Good Thing to let the noobs know about searching and using the UDN is are good tips!

Comment

Most of the time, it's likely someone else has had the same problem or question. A quick google search, or a search on these very forums may lead to the answer.
            Truth. I've worked with UDK for just a little more than a year now, and there wasn't one question that I've had while working with the toolset that I couldn't answer by doing a five minute search.

Excellent tutorial Graylord!

Comment

very good post for people just starting out
              +1 awesome ;D
              I remember when I use to play with the Blender game engine you'd always get people saying how do I make a FPS or RPG rather funny actually

Comment

Should be merged with this thread and pinned:
                http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=764270

Comment

I think some of the things I have changed and expanded should help out.
                  However, maybe some of the stuff in the "Can I make this game?" is a bit opinion based?
                  Do people disagree with it?

Also, let me know of any typos and places that are a bit confusing or incoherent.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                      Make it a bit more optimistically but still eye-opening.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Game-Designer

Comment

Updated the OP once more.

Comment

Hmm, I just realized I need to keep my own tutorial a bit more in mind.

Comment

Working...
                          X