drag multiple meshes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drag multiple meshes?

is it possible to drag multiple meshes from your content browser into your level?

cause i am trying to get a architectual building (.FBX) in UDK but i have then 7000 meshes or "items". So can you place that in 1 time instead of drag and drop 7000 times?

I do not think it is, but you can always script that thing. Look into snipets.

To get example snippet, place one mesh in your level. Copy it to clipboard (ctrl+C in editor after selecting it). Then paste that into TEXT editor like notepad. You get some small text block (it is t3d format). See there will be name and position of your mesh. You can create script that generates such blocks for your meshes. Then CTRL+C it in text editor and paste into udk, it works, and udk will put all meshes in game space.

And If you are decent in max scripting you can tell max how to generate that snippet for selected objets.

Comment

Do you specifically need them to be separate meshes? Otherwise you should take a look at the import options when importing the FBX, there's an option there to import the FBX as a single mesh, which should make placement a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post

To get example snippet, place one mesh in your level. Copy it to clipboard (ctrl+C in editor after selecting it). Then paste that into TEXT editor like notepad. You get some small text block (it is t3d format). See there will be name and position of your mesh. You can create script that generates such blocks for your meshes. Then CTRL+C it in text editor and paste into udk, it works, and udk will put all meshes in game space.

And If you are decent in max scripting you can tell max how to generate that snippet for selected objets.
        I really can't believe that no one tought about that, since it will be a very usefull one, especially if you want to place your entire level into UDK and then start to put collision and apply shaders...having a scene with 8000-10000 object and place them manually will be just loosing time...

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post

okay so how does that work exactly? creating a script that generates that? cause i have no clue

any tutorials you recommend?

and thanks for the replies!!

Comment

Working...
          X