Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

University project in IA and Level Design

Hi all!!
    I have to do a project for University of Bologna (italy)
    I try to explain what i have to do:

I want to take a project from an engineer architect (my friend). This is a real building realized with REVIT. I want to export it in 3dMax studio, adding internal object, texture, light, etc. Then esport it into UDK for playing it.
    I think this is possible, do you think is true?

Next step is to make BASE AI for several monster (created in 3dMax).
    I want to make myself this AI, does UDK permis that? Is that possible? Or i have to create it on the function that are impement in UDK? Can I improve it?
    I see that this aspect is focus on java right?

Can anyone told me if i have to create a hud, weapon, sistem for keybord input, or there are some that are ready to use for a 3person shooter? MY work is not focus on this aspect XD.

Thanks you all!!!

Yes, the process is to build your models in an external program, like 3ds Max, you can model and texture them, then you would export them to UDK where you would reassemble them. There you would also create the lighting.

For 3rd person type games, UDK isn't designed for it by default, but people here have created scripts to add that feature. Mostly it's just setting up the camera position. Besides that, guns and such are the same as a FPS. UDK also has it's own AI system

UDK has lots of stuff as default, HUD, weapons, controls. You might want to customize those for yourself though.

Comment

Great! thanks for the reply!

"UDK also has it's own AI system"

I found the description of that sistem in the features page, but i can't understand if i have to modify them or with them i have to build an AI.

Can i also import light? Or i have to use the UDK light sistem?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I haven't looked into UDK's AI system, I'm sure there are different parameters you have to set, but the main thing is that you shouldn't have to develop one of your own.

And yes, UDK has it's own lighting system called Lightmass. It's better to use than trying to create lighting in a separate program, for one you don't have to deal with managing the lightmaps. Plus it does a good job and makes things much more optimized for games.

Comment

Open Controller.uc and AIController.uc. Those are your basic AI functions. Everything else you want to implement, you can do on top of (or ignoring) those.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
            I haven't looked into UDK's AI system, I'm sure there are different parameters you have to set, but the main thing is that you shouldn't have to develop one of your own.
            if you want anything other than an unreal tournament bot you do have to develop your own.
            at the moment the only way to do that is with unreal script.
            AITree is on the way though (whatever that turns out to be)

Comment

"at the moment the only way to do that is with unreal script."

Bed news for me! my project is not making a scripting AI.

I found something about Kynapse that is compatible with UDK, anyone have try?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

For example what tipe of AI i have to implement on my own project:

AI for distance attack, with a sort of cover..,
              AI for melee attack, the bot using varius tipe of cover wait until i'm shooting, and charge when i recharge my wapon.
              AI for an "aracnid bot"

Using pathfind of course and base AI for cover sistem, if with UDK i can't personalize AI, and i must using only existing one i'm in trouble =(( i have to find another way!!

Comment

As for the monster AI, http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...ghlight=deadly heres simple AI for a zombie/monster.If you want to try it out and see how to make it work ,i have a fully detail tutorial.
                CODE AI:http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...ghlight=deadly
                Tutorial:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFOYc7PT_Q
                Thank Tegleg for providing the Code.

Comment

Thaks you all!!

Comment

Working...
                  X